central heating pump problem

my central heating has stopped working, hot water is OK and the boiler fires up .I put the heating on and the pump has got really hot and is not pumping has been making strange noises in recent weeks.I turned everything off and undid the centre of the pump and spun it .turned everything back on and still no heating?????. any ideas, is it the pump and is it easy to change .

Reply to
wayne.pettyt

Diverter valve

Reply to
R obbo

If you turn the heating on with the pump's end cap removed, can you see the shaft rotating? If not, the pump is probably shot.

It's not too bad to change *provided* it's got isolator valves both sides, and *provided* they both work. You turn them both off, and undo the two big union nuts which connect the valves to the pump body. The pump can then be removed, without any need to drain the system. In order to fit the existing pipework, the new pump must be the same size from flange to flange as the old one. The most common size is 130mm. The new pump should come with new rubber washers.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Very unlikely! It sounds like a gravity HW and pumped CH system - in which case there won't *be* a diverter valve.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Check the capacitor by swapping with a new/known good one

Reply to
Bob Minchin