Central heating on yet?

About a month ago people were speculating about when they might need to turn on the CH again.

Still not on here (Suffolk) although there is a big difference between back and front of the house.

Back room 24C -> 25C depending on which digital thermometer you believe.

Front room 18C.

We have occasionally lit the wood burner in the evening when the temperature in the back drops below 19C but still no need for whole house heating.

Obviously this can't last, but solar gain is a wonderful thing.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Mine turns itself on through the magic of something called a "thermostat" - they've only been around for 450 years so maybe people haven't heard of them.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

So does mine - unless I tell it not do - which I do during the "summer" months.

Having said that, I've decided that summer has ended and have thus stopped telling it not to - with the result that it now comes on when the thermostat deems it necessary, which is not yet continuously.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes - thinking people would have considered 'summer' mode.

The wireless thermostat is still 'off' (5C frost protect) to avoid short bursts of unnecessary heating with the consequent overshoot in temperature.

Once the solar gain plus an occasional burn of the stove are not enough to keep the house comfortable the thermostat will be restored to the usual programmed mode.

Still, it seems quite late in the year not to be freezing our rocks off.

It has been another lovely day, with loads of sunshine and temperatures well into the teens.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

surely the thermostat, left alone, will take note of solar gain and heat from your stove?

Reply to
charles

Mine has been on for a few days so far this year.

A thermometer left alone, whilst an essential piece of kit does not take account of:

(1) When I am actually occupying the house.

(2) What temperature I need to feel warm taking account of activity level and drafts etc. vs the actual temperature.

(3) Which room I am occupying vs the temperature at the location of the thermometer (there is never a totally neutral position!)

Also a thermometer has the unwanted property of turning on for instance when you open a door to the outside briefly. When it does so it will remain on due to the range of temperatures the device operates over to prevent hysteresis.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Not on here, Central London, big south facing windows (I will miss them when I move) 21C, about 18 in N. facing bedroom.

Sitting at the computer this evening its getting slightly chilly. But it often seems warmer later in the evening when a cobination of lighting, computers and cooking raise the tempreture a degree or two. Last year I also benefitted from the tenants in the flat below who tended to have their heating on high. I will hold out at least one day more so as to reach November.

Reply to
djc

Ours has is always on but the stat keeps it off during the summer.

The stat has been bringing it on for the evening boost to 20 C for the last couple of months. The wood burner (with boiler to heast store/heating system) has also been in daily use apart from the last couple of weeks of September or ther abouts.

Currently 9 C outside (warmer than it has been for the last couple of days) F8 SW'ly wind chill down to -5 C.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I never turned mine off. Just switched to the summer settings at 15C on both zones. Still on summer setting and rather cold. 15C is well below the balmy temperatures supposedly needed to keep OAPs alive through the winter but I am between a rock and a hard place atm having removed 3 of the 4 downstairs radiators and the associated pipework. The pipes had been buried in concrete(no tape) for some 40 years but were in remarkably good condition. Unfortunately the same could not be said of the solder joints one of which had been leaking long enough to rot out the carpet under the filing cabinet that had been hiding the leak for years. Other joints came apart easily as I dug the pipes out. Presumably thermal creep has done for the solder joints. About time I switched to plastic pipework when I get round to plumbing in the missing radiators but that will have to wait until after my next hernia operation (No 3).

I do crank up the bedroom temperature to 16 or 17C for bedtime when I remember but the programmable stat is playing up on the upstairs zone so I can't adjust the schedule and mornings are a bit chilly.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Turned the under floor heating on today for the first time as SWMBO was complaining it was cold in the kitchen. It only does part of the down stairs but makes quite a difference. Had the wood burner in the snug alight most evenings for the last couple of weeks rapidly burning a pile of willow that fell in my lap. (burns quickly but very well with little ash)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

central Scotland been on a bit last couple of weeks. Temp indoor drops to about 12C some days. I am in all day so try and hold off til lunchtime and then set at 16C then about 5ish move to 18/19c

Reply to
ss

Well, not really, as the thermostat is generally at the front of the house where there is no thermal gain or stove.

As I haven't multiple zones, moving the thermostat to the back of the house would ensure it never kicked in (so why bother) but leaving it in the front of the house would mean it kicked in a few times a day which isn't currently necessary.

Easiest to leave it all on frost protection until the temperature drops a bit.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I did fire mine up for half an hour a couple of times. I work from home and my office (one end of the living room) has an air sourced heat pump which I put in ~8 years ago. I use that to heat the room during the day, rather than heating the whole house. However, it's hardly needed to come on - no more than about 4 times during the day for perhaps 5-10 minutes each time. I also direct the heat from my main server (150W) into the room during the winter (and to the outside during the summer).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel