central heating on or off?

Philistine: a person who refuses to see the beauty or the value of art, literature, music or culture in any form:

The word comes from the way the Philistine people were.

Reply to
IMM

You are a Philistine.

Reply to
IMM

Aother one.

Reply to
IMM

I'm definitely one to sit on the fence...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You do realise that you are accusing me of being a cultured person and that you are not because you prefer the boiler room look?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My father was reading Pilgrim's Progress at the time of my birth and liked the name. They had been convinced I was going to be a girl and had only chosen a girl's named beforehand. He had had his childhood Catholicism beaten out of him by the Christian Brothers some years previously, so there was no religious motive.

We're not a particularly religious family, would you believe? My brother was once marked down in an essay for comparing the holy trinity unfavourably with the tooth fairy and father Christmas. As well as being more plausible, neither of those (or belief therein) have been responsible for starting any wars, to my knowledge.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Find a reference outside the bible that describes the Philistines and you'll find that they were far more cultured than the nomads who displaced them from Canaan into Cyprus to their eventual demise. They were interested in fine food, wine, culture, literature. The archeology shows them to be significantly more advanced culturally than the hill nomads that eventually won.

The name is often considered the same as "Palestinian". (And obviously "Philistinia" = "Palestine"). Clearly, the fights between the Hebrews and Philistines lives on, even if both sides are now genetically mixed and of totally different culture.

As the Old Testament was written by the victorious shepherds, you won't find them describing their slaves as culturally superior, will you?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No please don't. It's much more fun to watch Andy & dIMM fight it out all over again. If Groundhog Day hadn't already been invented we'd do it right here on uk.diy

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ