Central Heating - not room thermostat and no try

Hi.

I am moving in to a new flat 1 bedroom. 4 radiators, Worcester 24cdi combination.

The problem is that for now there is no room thermostat and no trv on the radiators. For the next month or two It have to stay like that. Latter I will be able to change, add parts to the system.

What will be the best way to save energy in the main time.

1=2E I have manual clock on the boiler so I was thinking to set the CH to go off for 15 min every 30 min or set it to 15min on 15 min off. In the morning when I start the system I will set it to work for one hour and than again 15 min on 15 min off. 2=2E Or The lower the temperature of the water in the CH system let=E2=80= =99s say to 50 and not to max witch is 82

Also when I will do I change in the system what will be the best way ? TRV on all the radiators or room thermostat ? I can have only one of them. (money =EF=81=8A )

Reply to
Golan

I am moving in to a new flat 1 bedroom. 4 radiators, Worcester 24cdi combination.

The problem is that for now there is no room thermostat and no trv on the radiators. For the next month or two It have to stay like that. Latter I will be able to change, add parts to the system.

What will be the best way to save energy in the main time.

  1. I have manual clock on the boiler so I was thinking to set the CH to go off for 15 min every 30 min or set it to 15min on 15 min off. In the morning when I start the system I will set it to work for one hour and than again 15 min on 15 min off.
  2. Or The lower the temperature of the water in the CH system let's say to 50 and not to max witch is 82

Also when I will do I change in the system what will be the best way ? TRV on all the radiators or room thermostat ? I can have only one of them. (money ? )

You're supposed to have both on new installations, with the thermostat in the hallway ( usually ) near a radiator with no TRV. You can buy a cheap but effective three-wire ( better than two wire because a three-wire thermostat has a slightly more predictive capability ) TRV's for £12 at B&Q.

Anyway, if I had to go for one option I'd personally go for TRV's on all rads. In that case you need to make sure the CH boiler has a bypass valve, since once the TRV's all shut off the boiler will be trying to pump hot water into a completely shutoff system, and it needs a short bypass loop and valve to allow water to continue to circulate back to the boiler ( the boiler senses return temperature, so if there is no flow 'cause all the TRV's are shut off the boiler will go a bit mad ). If the boiler doesn't have a bypass valve you need to fit one or leave a TRV off one radiator.

Of course, in that case that radiator always be on at full blast when the boiler is on but you could always throw a towel over it to reduce output if that room gets too hot.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

In article , Golan writes

That's a lot of boiler for a small flat and I think it will heat the space up quite quickly. By all means turn the boiler stat down a bit but IIRC this boiler is not a condensing (uber efficiency) type so you should not turn the boiler temp setting so low as to cause condensation in the heat exchanger (say setting 3-3 1/2 from 5). Although the timed on-off cycling you describe is a bit messy it is probably the thing to do in the short term, vary the gaps between on periods to suit your comfort level and to suit the weather outside.

In the longer term I think a flat as small as you describe could be quite effectively controlled by just a room stat, probably mounted in the lounge. If you find other rooms get excessively hot then throttle them down a bit by closing the lockshield valve on those rads. That would certainly be the less invasive option in terms of system modification and if you err on the side of over throttling the rads outside the living room and making them a little cool then you will not be wasting much heat over TRVs. If you occasionally find a secondary room a little cool then just open the door to the warmer space to let it get a bit warmer. If you find the kitchen hot while cooking, just turn off the rad.

Reply to
fred

You best bet is to TRV the radiators and put a radio stat - with possibly a timer built in - as an overall stat. I got mine yesterday at

10a.m. By 12 a.m. it was installed and working. Essentially the transmitter goes where you like, and the receiver is inserted between the existing time clock and the boiler. Or between the CH live and the boiler if you want to scrap the timer altogether.

It was about as hard as wiring up two plugs and fitting 4 screws into the wall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why did it take 14 hours then? ;-)

Reply to