Central Heating Inhibitor

Currently got some Sentinel X400 (sludge remover) in my system. Will be draining down and re-filling shortly and looking at the difference types of inhibitor. Our house 13 rads, looks like 1 litre of Sentinel X100 will protect upto 10 rads. Screwfix have some no-nonsense CH inhibitor (£8 versus £13 for the Sentinel brand). As I need 2 litres I was thinking of getting the No-nonsense brand. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it worth spending the extra £10 and getting 2 litres of Sentinel?

Reply to
Slider

Have a look here:

(I didn't use Fernox, but can't remember what I did use - it appears to have worked OK. But if/when I need to do it again, I shall be looking at those results before choosing.)

Reply to
Rod

Last year I used Fenox - the stuff you inject into the Radiator - worked for me!

kev

Reply to
awtltd

How do you know? Maybe you can come back in another 19 years or so and let us know?

Reply to
dennis

I've recently changed the boiler on my 25+ year old system which has used Fernox inhibitor all its life - changed at approx 5 year intervals. And the water that drained out was pretty clear - no sign of the black gunge others talk about. Of course a cheaper one may have worked as well - but I'm not inclined to take the risk.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bet you'd still have got some squid ink out of the bottoms of your rads!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Yes - I re-sited one rad at the same time and there was some black water at the bottom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used the Purimachos inhibitor once. I wouldn't use it again if it was a tenth of the price of Sentinel.

Reply to
PM

i bought 2 litres of Sentinel X100 in the end. Flushed it out and refilled yesterday.

Reply to
Slider

Nothing is as good as Purimachos inhibitor ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles