Central heating - everything working... but no heat!

Hi,

I'm encountering a strange problem with my central heating (that was working fine this morning) - everything is functioning as normal, but there's no heat and no hot water.

The boiler is a Glow Worm Swift Flow (sealed system) - not being a central heating expert, I'll just point out the things I know:

  • The pilot light is lit and electricity is fine

  • I've disabled all the timers, so they aren't interfering

  • The thermostat has been set so that it doesn't interfere whilst I'm trying to figure this out

  • When I turn the hot tap on (which is about 2 feet from the boiler), the boiler sounds like it is starting up fine, but the water never gets hot. This tap usually gets scolding hot water in less than 30 seconds...

  • When I manually activate the heating from the control panel, it sounds like everything is kicking in as normal, but the radiators never get hot

  • The pressure is at about 1.5 currently, when I turn on the tap with the heating on, it dips just below, but normally when the heating works, it goes up to about 3 or 3.5 I think

I'm at a loss what to do, so any tips/guidance/slaps about the head would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Flp

Reply to
Flp

Sounds to me like you are hearing the fan and the water flow, but it isn't firing up. I bet the case isn't getting warm. Don't know the model but most things have a window where you should be able to see the flames (may have to open the cover).

Reply to
Newshound

Thanks for the help.

The boiler does have a very small window, but I thought that was only to check the pilot light (which is lit fine incidentally!)... I see a lovely WARM blue flame in there, so it's lit ok...

I think you're right about the fan and water flow. I do remember hearing a whooshing sound in the past where the flames are being lit, much like a gas cooker, so I'll go and see if I can hear that.

If that's the problem, then I assume it's something internal in the boiler. Any ideas on likely symptoms or costs?

Cheers, Flp

Reply to
Flp