Central heating dilema

The time has come to replace my CH system and bathroom and I have been reading up and googling around to try and get to grips with the options available. Some advice would be appreciated. This will not be a d.i.y. job

The house is a mid thirties 3 bed semi with a kitchen extension and bedroom above. The heating system is the usual back boiler arrangement, nine rads, that dates back to the sixties but with a boiler replacement made in the early eighties. In other words, on its last legs.

This property was owned by my parents before me and was in poor shape when I took it over. In the last six years I have been gradually refurbishing, windows, doors, rewire, kitchen. The decoration can wait as I want to concentrate on the structure and main systems. CH and bathroom next, maybe not the order I should have gone.

My first thoughts were to replace the CH with a similar back boiler type, the problem here is the airing cupboard and what it contains. Situated in a corner of the main back bedroom, everything is old, old, old. Its huge and the state inside is awful. I have tried cleaning it up but with limited results. The cupboard itself is falling apart and the plasterwork inside is hanging off. The whole thing has to go and be properly repaired. At least I will gain space. Additionally, I do not want to be investing long term in a system that may be going into history.

One possibility is to build a new airing cupboard in the newer fourth bedroom, it would be next to the bathroom wall and above the kitchen. The other possibility is downstairs in the "old kitchen" directly below the bathroom. This area measures seven by nine and although refurbished contains no furnishings. This area is joined to the new kitchen by a six foot archway and as a result there is a handy looking corner formed by the outside wall and the arch wall, measuring 700 x

600mm.

So, what type of system to go for? I haven't discounted a combi, but I doubt that would be the best solution in this size of property. I was thinking of a sealed system, but there are the annual costs to consider, also everywhere I read up there seems to be an implied question over the safety aspect. Kabooom is not a good selling point. That leaves me thinking of a vented thermal store type. I have discovered that there are two types, direct and indirect.

I read up on the Albion site that the direct type goes upstairs and the indirect can go anywhere, apart from the little expansion tank which needs to be high up. So where do I put the boiler? In the kitchen area or in with the cylinder? Then there are the integrated systems such as Gledhill. What I have failed to find reference to is what electrical supply is needed for any of these things.

Cost is an issue of course, but I want to get this done properly.

At the moment I am rather confused and undecided.

Your comments and advice will be very welcome.

Reply to
A.Punter

Then you'll have difficulty finding someone to put in something that isn't either conventional boiler + cylinder, combi or boiler + unvented

How many bathrooms & showers? Most people find a combi fine for a single bathroom house. If you later find you really have to fill a bath in 59 seconds you can always get a cylinder added to the system (or DIY it) then.

There's a very remote risk of a very serious accident. Personally I think that's worth avoiding if there's a viable alternative, but then I don't think nuclear power is a good idea either :-)

Most buyers won't worry about that.

There are also systems where the heat store is used to provide hot water for the radiators. This gives quick heatup for space heating but you need a bigger store for the same hot water capacity, and unless you're in the habit of coming home to an unheated house at odd times it doesn't seem that useful to me. If you control your space heating with a programmable thermostat so the house doesn't get perishingly cold you don't need a very rapid warm up.

Thermal stores are particularly useful where you have other sources of heat such as solar, heat pump or solid fuel which can add to the store of heat and be topped up by the gas boiler.

None of them need much power - except for backup immersion heaters. All the stored hot water systems (conventional cylinder, unvented and thermal store) have the advantage that you can use electricity for heating your water when the boiler breaks down (which it must do sometimes).

A combi will be cheapest, and I'd be inclined to get a good one e.g. Vaillant or Bosch Worcester.

Reply to
john.stumbles

One bathroom? A high flowrate combi will do the lot. Look at the Alpha CD50, that will all for you, including high pressure shower.

..a normal service cost. What do you mean by sealed system? Unvented cylinder?

What safety aspect are you on about?

Electric for the Gledhill? Gledhill will advise for the Switch electric backup. Best have the boiler near the store away from the kitchen.

Look at the Ideal Istor. One box solution, floor mounted.

I would advise on a one box solution. Gledhill Gulsteam 2000, Ideal Istor, Potterton Powermax, Worcester Bosch Greestar HighFlow, Viessman (v expensive but RR quaklity). All floor mounted. The wall mounted Alpha CD50 combi will do your house too, and take up far less room.

All are sealed CH systems, No header tank in loft, and give mains pressure hot water. Make sure you have a decent mains pressure and flow and all soved. Just take your pick.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sounds like he's learning! At least we've got *some* caveats on the use of a combi.

Don't forget the need for a decent gas supply though!

Reply to
Set Square

I am the teacher. I don't learn from the likes of you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

IME, those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

and those who can't do either become consultants...

Reply to
David

But your IME is wrong...as usual.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Bertie, did you just make that up?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If the safety valve becomes jammed and the system overheats it will explode.

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Even teachers have to *learn* to keep up to date!

It is a very sad person who believes he has nothing to learn!

Reply to
Set Square

Yep. and boy am I up to date.

Yep.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The unvented cylinder then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Expert - "ex" is something that has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

(:-)

Graham

Reply to
graham

Yup. From adverts.

Those who know they have something to learn don't just accept what makers tell them in their advertising. They understand the principles so are able to make up their own minds about the claims - and modify them for the practical application.

With electronics, makers will give typical and absolute maximum ratings. You tend to take the 'absolute maximum' as the norm, whereas sensible engineers use the 'typical' one.

Of course you won't have a clue what I'm on about as usual.

Is your Prius still doing 23 mpg, or have you sold it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thank you

Reply to