central heating corrosion guard - is this a used unit (pics)

I just had a salamander corrosion guard for use in a central heating system delivered. It seems to be a used unit to me.

I queried it and was told they "are all like that".

Is that correct? The deposits in both ends of the thing look much more in daylight that in these pics - but the flaky plating is quite bad - not that that affects the functioning of course. I can see green discolouration and even some white on the threads which seems like limescale. Appreciate some expert yes/no on this. tia

Here are some links to pics of the unit:-

dave

My browser would display the pictures until I entered the other links on the page into the browser address bar

alan_m

Looks second hand to me.

Reply to
harryagain

(Well known) Supplier said, verbatim, "I can confirm that they are all like you have described, the green / white deposit is just from the mixture of metals.

Had another look - there is definitely verdigris in the nut threads and the unit is made of chrome plated brass. Also the business part of the internal nut threads have only a little plating left on them - can see the brass - as "wear" as if have been tightened up.

Think I'll ask for a replacement.

Reply to
dave

Queried with whom? The supplier or manufacturer?

Does the device need wet testing? Any spannering marks on the corners of the plated nut? Probably wouldn't show on the olive nut.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mark the one you send back - they will just send you back the original as proof that they are all like that.

Reply to
alan_m

The supplier. (emailed sales@ as was the only email I found)

Ah - don't know the answer to that.

Not as such - but there is failure of the plating (some "bubbling" on most all the edges of the nut surfaces adjacent to the weld to the body).

Right - there are no marks on either olive nut and they have a different finish to the rest of the thing.

I don't want to look a complete dork by accusing them of sending a used one - but it really does look as if it has been.

Reply to
dave

I was wondering about the blueing on the body. Plating and welding are not good bed fellows. If it had been properly installed I'd expect marks or "bruising" on at least a couple of the nuts corners.

I think your best course is to call the manufacturers or find an email address and maybe send the pictures with the query.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

UV pen?

Reply to