Central Heating control - wire size

Hi all,

I want to add an additional wire from CH controller (HW Off terminal) to the junction box by the boiler so that I can have the heating on without the hot water. At present there is nothing connected to this terminal.

Is 0.75mm wire too thin? I wouldn't imagine that there is very much current required, even if it's still 240V

thanks a lot, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

There's usually a 3 amp fuse in the FCU feeding the entire CH electrics so

0.75mm is fine.

However, I hope you've got suitable controls to allow what you want. Basically it has to have a pumped HW primary with either a three port valve or two motorised ones. If the hot water primary relies on thermo circulation it won't work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err... do you know what you're doing? What sort of heating controls have you got? Why is the system likely to be incorrectly wired at present? If you have a old system with gravity circulation for hot water it will be impossible to have HW off while CH is on, although a thermostatic cylinder valve could be fitted to limit the DHW temperature.

Wire? You cannot use a single unsheathed equipment wire, unless it's enclosed in a conduit or trunking system. Otherwise the wire should be a core in a sheathed cable, either a multi-core flexible, or flat twin-and-earth or 3-core-and-earth wiring cable. (Single and sheathed cable (6181Y) is also OK, but that's not very commonly available in the smaller sizes now.)

0.75 mm^2 is OK if it's a core in a flexible cable, and assuming 3 A or 5 A fusing. Cores in non-flexible permanent wiring cables are subject to a minimum size of 1.0 mm^2.
Reply to
Andy Wade

I did something similar. The Randall 102 electro-mechanical timer had off / dhw / dhw&ch but no 'ch only' setting, and the system is fully pumped with 2 x 2 port moterised valves. So I wired a separate switch box with two three position switches so DHW and/or CH can be either timed off or cont. Also wired a "booster" switch which shorts out the cylinder stat prior to filling the bath. All wired in 1mm T&E

That that 25 years ago, its still going strong.

Reply to
Graham

Thanks for the info all. Yes, I do have a 3 way motorised valve and fully pumped system. The system is currently wired with 4 core and has no connection between the HW OFF on the controller (Honeywell ST6400C

7 Day Programmer) and the 10-way junction box . I guess it is not connected because it's not essential - not everyone would care about having CH but no DHW. Rather than replace the complete run (~10m) with 5 core, it will be cheaper & easier for me to leave the existing and add a new cable alongside. The cable I have/was proposing is: 2182Y 0.75mm 2 Core Round Flex. 50m. HO3VVF CENELEC / HAR approved. 2182Y flexible cord for light-duty appliances. PVC insulated and sheathed.

The existing run is cable clipped around the wall of my garage and I was going to do the same with the new cable, alongside. I didn't think I would have to use additional conduit but I suppose regulations have changed since the existing run was installed, and I shouldn't use round flex for permanent installation anyway...

thanks, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:51:10 -0000, Andrew mused:

Correct.

Reply to
Lurch

Presumably the cylinder stat already has change-over contacts in order to provide a HW-satisfied signal? If not, you'll need to change that, too.

Reply to
Roger Mills

There is no such restriction in the regs. There are situations where flex is required in a permanent installation, but none where it is forbidden.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 17 Jul 2007 18:26:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) mused:

Er, yeah. I read that wrong, what I meant was flex isn't really for fixed wiring.

Reply to
Lurch