Central heating, British gas, Maintenance contract

My mother has a 37 year old hot-air central heating system. She has been paying regularly for BG maintenance. This year, during the annual inspection/safety check, they condemned the system as unsafe. It has been 'capped off' and now has a nice red warning label on it. The reason for this was due to;

1) The safety cut-off valve being faulty (something that stops the gas if the flame goes out). 2) The flame is yellow (should be blue). 3) The flue has cracks (these are in the loft space). All 3 items cannot be repaired or replaced. BG will immediately refund this years premiums. But I'd like to know, if they knew that the system could not be effectively maintained, why have they been taking premiums for the last 10 years (or more)? Obviously I have no proof that all of these parts became unobtainable in just the last year, but I'd welcome comments as to what we could do. Could all of these items fail in a single year? Maybe it's just me, but it seems that previous checks were not carried out properly. Indeed, the plug that supplies power to the fan had a loose wire, which would appear to have been unchecked for years (maybe the checks don't go this deep).

BG will be quoting on replacement systems. I have told my mum to get a few more quotes. She had not even considered getting other people involved.

It's an old Potterton system. Do they still make hot-air systems? Ideally she'd just like this system repaired, failing that, a new hot-air system would be preferable to radiators. Are these systems still popular?

Thanks for any comments. I don't 'have it in' for BG, but some things they say/do just seem to get my back up.

Reply to
Grumps

Grumps,

I've had the three star service with BG now since 1986 and the only time that they ever failed to carry out a repair was when the parts were not available any more (knackered cast iron balanced flue spigot on a wall mounted Potterton Neat-a-Heat) - and they condemned the boiler because of that (although only after a week of trying to get the part).

If you look under their Terms and Conditions, you will see that they will repair a boiler/heating system until the parts become unavailable and then you have to pay for a new boiler, they won't.

I had them fit a new boiler around 1998, they quoted me a fair price (everything all-in) and during the install, I asked them to fit 3 theremostatic rad valves as an extra to the contract whilst the system was drained down- and they supplied and fitted these free for me.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Neighbour had her system condemned at the first inspection after 18 months of paying the fees. My daughter had hers condemned at first inspection. I regard BG personnel as purely high pressure salespeople with an extra-special intro into your home. I'd be pleased to find that my cynicism is unfounded.

Reply to
John Cartmell

[some of my rant snipped]

Thanks. Yes, I know. But if they are aware that replacement major components cannot be obtained, then should they still be taking maintenance premiums?

Reply to
Grumps

But what can we realistically do? Get a 3rd party to examine the system (at our cost)?

What makes the flame burn yellow? Is this a terminal disease?

Reply to
Grumps

If the thing was 37 years old, it has done remarkably well.

Nevertheless, BG contracts are notoriously poor value for money. It is far more cost effective to find a local CORGI fitter to do a service and clean once a year - probably 50% less. The money saved would go much of the way to a replacement system.

That would be very wise. BG are an even bigger rip-off when it comes to replacement systems. Starting price is typically at least twice the market average, and then they make the householder think that they are getting a great deal by applying a modest discount or throwing in some things for "free".

There are still hot air systems around.

one example. As far as I know Potterton don't make them any longer, and in turn are a shadow of their former selves anyway.

Almost everything they say and do gets mine up. I refuse to deal with the company.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi Grumps,

If you your mother had the 3 star contract, then this covers more than just the boiler, it covers the hot water system, boiler and thermostatic controls, cylinder etc and that part of the contract would still be covered and therefore premiums would still be payable.

I would suggest that as you are obviously unhappy about BG's service (and after reading your post I think I would be) you ring them up and ask for a supervisor and a different techncian to have another look at the system and either confirm or deny the other fella's findings.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Leaving aside the issues with BG maintenance there are a couple of schemes that may be helpful to your mother now that she has condemned heating.

Have a look at

as the schemes vary depending on what part of the country your mother is in.

Reply to
WRabbit

Lots of details in the gas fitting FAQ.

Reply to