Central heating and zones. Question about zoning a bathroom.

Hi all.

Our bathroom is on the north side of the house, next to our nearly three year old sons room. They both get very cold compared to the rest of the house so I thought I might give them an independant zone(s).

It's a 60's three bed terrace with a new WB Greenstar condensing boiler. No cylinder, all HW is a direct feed from the boiler on demand. A 22mm plastic pipe forms a loop under the boards between ground and first floors with 15mm spurs off feeding rads with TRV's fitted. No TRV in the living room.

Our living room is open plan, so the stairwell and hall on the first floor share the same air volume. The thermostat is currently on the wall downstairs in this living room, near the stairs.

If I want to bath our son it's usually cold in there, because the heating was shut off when the living room warmed up. So currently I have to turn the thermostat up higher than we want to get the bathroom warm. If you see what I mean!

Most of the day the bathroom and his room are empty anyway, so it makes sense to me to zone them off. The other two bedrooms are used a fair bit and are warmer anyway, so I'd prefer to keep them in the main zone.

My questions are:

What problems can anyone see in this?

Where should the thermostat go? Bedroom or bathroom?

Or should / could they be two independant zones?

Currently most of the piping is under the floorboards. Can a zone valve be put there or should I put it near the boiler (the only other accessible place) and box it in. I think I know the answer to this one really, but...

I've looked at the UKDIY FAQ, but although mentioning valves its not very specific. Got a better zoning tutorial or FAQ?

OK, many thanks and keep that hammer off your fingers!

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Should work fine

Bedroom. Thermostat has mains in it so best not in bathroom. And I'd hate to see what steam does to the electronics :-)

Don't think that's needed. If you can't get the two zones right then put a TRV on one.

Either is common. Where is the existing one ? It will need wiring into this to fire the boiler and pump anyway.

Reply to
Mike

None, a good idea. In summer you can turn off the bedroom rad and have the heating do the bathhroom heated towel rail.

Bedroom.

You can have axone for each room if you like and have more precise temperature and timing control, but a bit OTT.

You will need a valve for each zone, or a one group member has done, have a

3-way mid position valve to accommodate pump overrun. This is a bit more involved in the wiring.

Have the valve(s) boxed in with removable panels, for maintenance access. Do not have them inaccessible under floors. If there is a leak you also have problems too.

Some use the hammer on their heads, that is plain to see.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil