Central Heating Additives

I had a heavy duty cleaner in my system before a boiler change (Sentinel

800) and I went to a pressurised system.

I have two radiators which have a restricted flow on the microbore pipes (I know it is the pipe or manifold and not the rad). I had hoped that flushing with a bit of mains pressure would have cleared any crud but after several attempts nothing has changed.

Are any of the system corrosion inhibitors better than others at softening any deposits as they circulate? I don't really want to use a cleaner again - I suspect I may have to change a pipe at some stage but was hoping that there may be a gentle alternative that may be worth a try.

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

You might want to consider either a MagnaClean or Boiler Buddy type filter, to progressively remove left over crud.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Another vote for the MagnaClean - I fitted one a year ago, initially opened it after a few weeks and removed loads of crud from it. Opened it again last week to find loads more crud it has collected over that time.

Better to have the crud collected in the MagnaClean than insite the boiler's heat exchanger or pipes.

Reply to
AlanD

In article , John writes

Can't offer anything on the chemical front but I have successfully disrupted a partial blockage in a section of microbore pipe using a basic electric tyre compressor[1] on the affected circuit only.

I found this by accident after trying mains pressure water in both directions to no avail and was then using a variation on Roger Mills' suggestion of using air to clear pipes and rads before working on them. Half way through the pump out the flow want from a trickle to a gush and the blockage was cleared. Mains pressure flushing then cleared out the remaining crap. If you can't isolate the circuit you're interested in then closing all other rads down should limit the influence of the flush to just the open circuit.

[1] Usual warnings on the dangers of using compressed air in these sorts of situations apply, pressure in this case was limited using the cutoff on the compressor, set to around 40psi but cutout didn't operate. Boiler, PRV and expansion vessel were isolated from the circuit to be flushed/
Reply to
fred

I have a Magna Clean. Not much gathers in it since the first few days.

Reply to
John

Maybe not much help - but the real answer is to use inhibitor from when the system is installed. Then you won't get a build up of crud to have to worry about later.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From experience several years ago I remember Fernox DS-40 as being one of the more aggressive additives. There are warnings about not using it on older systems which are a bit unsound, because it might cause them to spring leaks.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

It has had Fernox or Sentinal in for most of its (22year) life. I am wondering if some pipes may be a bit kinked.

Reply to
John

The brass Mangabooster is superior.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) wibbled on Wednesday 05 January

2011 19:22:

Does it beat up japanese schoolgirls?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Even if such things work - which I doubt - they are simply bolting the door after the horse has bolted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are a plantpot with special needs, so eff off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The MagnaClean actually does work. I saw what was in it last time my boiler was serviced.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Maganclean is a poorly made product. The Magbooster is superior, made of brass. It also collect non-magnetic solids as well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel