Central heating

've just moved house and attempted to turn on my CH for the first time, everything sounded to be working ok but i had no heat, some rads lockvalves were on and some were off so i turned them all to the same position but still no heat, i'm no expert so if anyone could help me out with some advice i would be greatful Thanks....

Reply to
jabba1

you really should get the former owner or agent to show you or tell you about it.

As you dont appear to know anything much about it, ask someone with a bit of know how to look it over and explain things to you. There might be no water in the system. Maybe no oil etc gas disconnected etc etc. Sometimes when a house is sold valves are turned off and other things messed with and to be on the safe side you need someone to look over the lot if you have no knowledge of the essentials. now imagine if there was no water in the system and you ran the boiler?

Reply to
noelogara

The message from "jabba1" contains these words:

Perhaps it was too warm and the thermostat didn't demand any heat.

Reply to
Guy King

Suggested options:

1.) Give us a lot more information about the type of fuel, boiler and system so that we can work out what the problem could be. Is there a room thermostat? What bits are working? Are you getting hot water through the taps? If it's gas powered, is the gas supply turned on by the meter, is the pilot light lit and does the boiler light when you turn the hot taps on? Is there a pump, and can you feel or hear it running? What do you mean by "everything sounded to be working ok"? 2.) Ask the previous occupier to show you how the central heating works (or admit if it's faulty) 3.) Call a plumber
Reply to
Phil Anthropist

We just had a BG "annual check" (long story) and got the same symptoms with hot water...all appeared to be working except water was barely warm.

He'd left the boiler output stat at near minimum...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Magic. Perhaps he was hoping for a recall with a "repair" needed.

Reply to
Guy King

Well its gas although i cant find the boiler ie pilot light, there are no vents on the outside of the house, and as i can only find one boiler in a bedroom with gas and water pipes all in one alcove, there is a little grey box attached to a water pipe of which one end has a stopper screw in it, the little grey box is called acl lifestyle Mid Position Valuve, this all leeds me to belive its an electric system. There is no room thermostat only a timer on the wall this is an acl sm400. I am getting hot water through the taps but there is a wall switch like a normal emersion switch. The gas is turned on by the meter, when i turned the gas on for the first time,the timer on the wall started making ticking and clicking noises. i can not hear anything fireing uo when taps are turned on. when i switch the heating on i put my ear to the rads i hear a flowing sound and when turned off i dont. I hope this is the info you need to help me phil... thanks

Reply to
jabba1

I can't tell from your description whether you have hot water because the gas boiler is heating the water or whether you have hot water because the immersion heater is switched on. To check whether the wall switch that looks like a normal immersion switch is an immersion switch, ask someone to look at the revolving wheel in the electricity meter while you switch the wall switch on and off. If it is an immersion heater switch, and the water in the tank is below the setting of the immersion heater thermostat, the high electric current demand of the immersion heater element should cause a sudden increase in power consumption. If that switch isn't for an emersion heater it could be the switch for the electricity supply needed by the gas boiler and central heating pump. If you have an immersion heater in the house you should be able to see a hot water tank, often in an airing cupboard, with an immersion heater in the side of the tank near the bottom. Hope that helps.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Ok so you hear the flowing water when you switch the heating on. At least we know you have switched it on and there is water in the system. You say its gas so there must be a vent for the fumes to escape into the atmosphere. Look again for that. It should be just through the wall at the burner with a louvre style cover to stop the wind blowing inwards. Most likely Phil is correct that there is an immersion heating the cylinder so you should find the cylinder and feel it high and low because there is usually a double switch so you can heat half the cyl or the full cyl. You wont see the pilot light unless it is lit up. There is a reset button or switch on most gas burners and try pressing this in. There must be a name on the burner and if you give us that it would help greatly.

Reply to
noelogara

I've sorted it thank you guys, i have a gas fire in my dining room and theres a boiler behind that in the chimney flu because the gas in the house was turned off when we moved in there was no pilot light so after lighting that and bleeding the system it all works fine, so once again thanks for your help and if i ever get any more trouble with it I'll be back

Reply to
jabba1