cemetery burial grave site

Is it possible to log onto a cemetery web site to find out where a body is going to be interred?

I ask, as we have to travel to a cemetery for a burial and I have been unable to find a link for this.

Is this information only available at the cemetery?

Dave

Reply to
dave

dave wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 22:18

Cemetery? Website?

You are Captain Picard from the 24th Century and I claim my £5!

Seriously, all the cemeteries I've ever had dealings with involve a Parish Clerk and the rustlings of books.

If it's a public cemetary, ring the council (Parish Council Clerk for smaller places, maybe City/Town council for larger). If it's attached to a church, ring the church. In most cases, they should be able to look it up and get back to you.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Contact the funeral director.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The service will be held at a church, but most that have to travel some, will head to the cemetery.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Trouble is, we don't know who he is.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Local paper website?

Reply to
Clot

I assume there is some good reason why you can't ask whoever told you about it in the first place?

You could try

which claims to scan 339 newspapers, but recent spot checks I made failed on our local rag (allegedly one of the 339).

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

dave wibbled on Tuesday 06 July 2010 00:02

In which case, as someone else said, Funeral Directors will be able to help, unless the council are being dealt with directly.

Last time I had such dealings, I dealt with the PC myself so they told me what was what.

Reply to
Tim Watts

dave wibbled on Tuesday 06 July 2010 00:03

?

Presumably someone knows... Or is this a complicated case of random bits of families not talking to each other?

Reply to
Tim Watts

dave wibbled on Tuesday 06 July 2010 00:03

If you know which cemetery, find who runs it and ask them.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do you mean the address of the cemetary or the plot within the cemetary?

The former a google for the cementary name will probably work. If it's a large cementary ask the staff on arrival, at a small one you souldn't have much problem finding the right plot anayway.

The latter would be dependant on the cementary and even if (big if) I doubt the plot records for future burials is going to be online. TBH I'd be surprised if the old records are anyway.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

1) Find out what time the funeral is and get to the cemetary an hour beforehand. 2) Wait by the main gate. 3) When you see someone you recognise, get out of the car and follow them to the grave.

4) Failing that, and if it's only a small cemetary, walk around until you see an open grave, if there's only one, wait there until the coffin arrives, if there's more than one, go back to #2.

Reply to
Phil L

We don't know that either. The funeral is many miles away.

Regards

Dave

Reply to
dave

In a nut shell!

The problem looks to have been sorted now. The niece of the dececed who has also died: her husband has agreed to meet us at the cemetary and he has gone to find out where the grave is.

Regards

Dave

Reply to
dave

Yes, my wife's uncle was a bit of a recluse and we have no phone numbers for his children, we don't even know where they live.

On the other hand, my wife's other uncles were very outgoing.

When one of her other uncles died 2 years ago, we were laughing and joking in his house before the hearse arrived and I said to his wife just before we left the house that he would have loved his funeral.

Despite his bad health, he was quite a joker. After all a funeral is a celebration of some ones life.

In my wife's family, there have been no sombre funerals. One in particular left me in tears, not by the sadness of the death, but by the history of her life told by one of her grand daughters in a eulogy. We learned that she had played trumpet in a band to entertain the troops when they got leave during WWII. I reckon it would have been for Burtonwood, in Cheshire. No one in the family knew about it. It was only the one g daughter that got it out of her. We were very close to her and never heard a thing about this.

When we visited, she would always put on a hi tea, with kitchen roll as serviettes. :-)

Dave

Reply to
dave

I was looking for the plot location as we have to travel some to the cemetery.

Regards

Dave

Reply to
dave

Trouble is, it is bloody huge.

#2 is the best option.

Dave

Reply to
dave

In that case it will almost certainly have staff, park up at the reception and ask where "Fred" is being buried, I assume you do know the deceased name. B-)

They may well have a map of the cementary as well, that might be useful as it's quite easy to get lost in a big cementary there aren't that many distinctive landmarks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Apart from gravestones :-( It's a bit like finding your car again when you have parked it in a field, along with a few thousand others. I once used a Garmin 12 to track back my steps to the car. It's lucky I did, I would have still been looking for it up to dusk time.

All is well on the grave front now, we had a phone call from the US side of my wife's family and he is going to meet us at the cemetery and take us to the grave. After the burial, he is going to take us to the wake. From there I can find my way home.

Many thanks to all who answered my post.

Dave

Reply to
dave

We did arrive and depart OK thanks to the US connection and got home through the bloody rush our, which I wasn't happy about. :-(

Over an hour trapped in a car for less than half a hours journey

Dave

Reply to
dave