Cement Mixers - Why have they always been ~ £200 ?

almost every other tool has seen a price reduction and quality improvement over the last 10 years but cement mixers have defied this trend even though they are made from a few bits of tube, a drum and a motor.

what is the justification, if any, for the pegged price ?

Reply to
.

Physically large and heavy stuff tends to have somewhat defied price trends.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Because its an essential tool for help building the house.

A spade and backache is three times as slow.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Probably because making them cheaper won't make many more people buy them. They aren't something you can just stick on a shelf until you need them. You'd only really buy one if you were going to use it a lot, then you'd want a good one.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I did the water kept seeping through the holes. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

They can make them cheaper in China but the shipping costs negate the saving. Same reason we still make wheelbarrows in the UK, big, bulky, heavy, comparatively low value.

Dave

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

and the spin cycle was a bitch at first but once you reamed out the holes in the drum it made for agreat but erratic tyrolean machine ?

:o)

Reply to
.

Or if you're going to use it more than about twice, and don't want to spend more on hiring than buying.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I tried once, it is very difficult to turn with the weight in it. I gave up and borrowed one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

And you have somewhere to put it in the meantime. Personally, if I had enough room for a cement mixer, I'd put a compressor and a TIG welder in it.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

It was/is! Well worth sending a huge volume of cars worth say £10K each a long way, not worth sending a comparatively small volume of cement mixers worth £200.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What shield gas do you use to weld bricks? And isn't the wire kind of fragile?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

and cheap bed frames in China?

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Makro had some at ~£100 before Xmas.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

They're doing them again from 15/02/06< I just got Makro Mail No. 5 this morning, page 40, Nu-Tool (!!) 100L mixer 100KG mixed material weight capacity and 1/2HP motor £99.99 + VAT. It doesn't say but I presume it to be electric at that price.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Pre-mixed oxygen and propane, I should imagine.

You don't use wire with TIG. Filler rods for brick are like mini kerb-stones. They're still quite brittle though.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp