Cement FAQ qualification

I can see the reasons - you can get problems though, even in the putting-on of render - it's like trying to render a sheet of plastic. The muck doesn't stick, and if you render an appreciable height, the water in uit can run down and cause the bottom to wash away! BTDTGTTS.

Would you use lime mortar for this? When the existing is most likely 1:1:6? an external wall?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

This *must* be a troll. Not you, Nige, this Sean chappy.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It is a product of the hydrolysis of the acetate. Normally the equilibrium lies fairly firmly on the acetate side, but there are obviously ways of tilting the balance to make the alcohol for various uses. Among other things, it is normally an ingredient in the childrens' plaything "Slime". Its low toxicity (sufficiently low that a harmful dose is a challenge to consume even for Peter Dowdeswell) means it is ideal.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

No, no, no. In many monographs, sodium dodecyl sulphate has been shown to adversely affect the set of chemistry by interfering with the calcium ion behaviour in the aqueous phase why not completely ruin the set by adding sugar?

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Maybe youre right. I just assumed his brain was hurting. I know what that feels like when all you want is a simple answer. Who knows.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Paradoxically that may help, as weakened cement render is less likely to damage the house. Of course its not a good way to do it, but it would help if using 4:1.

Ohh, its a diybanterer!

BTW which type of washing liquid is sodium dodecyl sulphate, fairy or cheapo?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

All of them. Quality detergents contain more, typically 33% the cheaper ones contain rather less and are made to thicken with sodium chloride to give the appearance of quality by viscosity. It doesn't take much, if memory serves it is something akin to solubility product operating to give this effect. The more expensive grades are also better stripped of sodium hydroxide. The top grades are for shampoo, body gel and their ilk.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

I believe Carbopol resins are used to thicken a lot of cosmetics. Something under 1% turns water into hair gel at PH5.5, which duly collapses at PH7 when you come to wash it off.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Debate all you like..well you do seem like master debaters.

But being a plasterer of 20 years, I could show you jobs I did when first started....or jobs when my old boss started in the 50's. wher the walls are still good and the render in good order.

If the people calling my method incorrect or damaging..........get fro behind your desk and show us a pic..........these darker nights I coul do with a laugh

Sean...just Sea

-- Sean Mc

Reply to
Sean Mc

entirely consistent with what i said then

troll or fool?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't doubt it - but did you use builders' sand and PVA I wonder... lol.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

As I said a bunch of master debater

-- Sean Mc