Ceilings and insurance.

I've just had a large chunk of ceiling in the hall come down. Happened while the house was unoccupied. No apparent reason. It's the original lath and plaster. Had it been a normal flat ceiling I'd just have replaced it with plasterboard - but this is the bit that goes under the stairs so is a complex shape in places. And is way beyond my skills.

Is this the sort of thing I could claim on the house insurance for? Or just fair wear and tear?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wear and tear, according to a neighbour whose ceiling fell down last week!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

It's worth making a claim.

If it had been caused by a burst pipe, you would claim, wouldn't you? So why not for this?

Reply to
Bruce

When I claimed for something like this (after a water leak) the insurers paid up but then raise my premiums enought to pay off the bill in two years. Afterwards i decided not to bother in future claiming for things like that.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Run a tap upstairs and make a controlled flood in the right place!

Reply to
Emil Tiades

Quite, claims will be paid back several times over in the years ahead. Insurance is not a maintenance plan.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

So the insurers might be able to claim it was a terrorist attack so won't pay out ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, it's not under the list of covers. But what does it cost to cliam anyway, you never know, all sorts of cover are added as sweeteners.

Reply to
EricP

Read the policy & find out exactly what circumstances are covered and claim for one of them.

A few years ago I had ceiling damage due to a dodgy plumbing connection. That rather strangely wasn't covered, so I told them I was working on the plumbing & accidentally put my foot through the ceiling instead.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman