ceiling light

Oh that's interesting.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's very interesting. But how come the tubes are 28W but the thing is `1280mm long? Are these tubes low wattage and thing, but long?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thank you Andrew.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It's 240V. Sold for use with G9 halogens but you can get 240V G9 LEDs. However I gave it as just an example to illuminate the point about multiple sources (a point that Andrew Gabriel has now put more more generally and better). And IMLE there is nothing to beat empirical research - ie festooning the room with assorted work lights and temporary ceiling fixtures :)

Reply to
Robin

The manufacturers do a longer version and a shorter one. I think the descriptions on amazon have got muddled. You should have a look for Endon EL-10081 and EL-10085. They have a couple of other models too.

Reply to
GB

Catalogue download here

There's quite a lot to choose from.

Reply to
GB

If doing that today would you now use LED strip?

ie similar to the vaulted ceiling I lit up a few months ago using about 50W of LED strip.

Brighter and higher powered but dimmable strip was one option we also considered, but after various tests using off cuts of LED strip the customer was happy to go for the 50W version, especially as there also two pendant lights in the room.

Reply to
ARW

Rhetorical question - do the joists run the wrong way to stop you adding some of them? Obviously they will run the wrong way to put them where you want them:-)

How industrial would you consider something from

about 12mm deep and you can get ceiling mounting brackets/frames for them.

Reply to
ARW

Possibly, yes. My parents were very fussy about the colour and colour rendering. I had difficulty persuading them to use fluorescent because there were some old naff T12 halophosphate tubes there originally (Philips colour

21 - warm white but very low colour rendering by modern standards) which did awful things to the colours in the room, so hadn't been used for decades (and only one of the tubes still worked anyway).

I don't have enough experience with LED strip colours and colour rendering to know if it would be good enough for them.

I did a mock-up using one of the new tubes for a few months to convince them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ohh they look promising!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Along the same lines:

5-year warranty! The details aren't as thorough as Heathfield's. Disclosure: I have dealt with Ledlam and had very good service, always delivered the next day and helpful CS. I first bought Ledlam lamps via Amazon but then swapped to buying direct. Same prices and delivery as Amazon then 10% off the price.
Reply to
PeterC

Don't forget that you would need to cut a hole in the ceiling for the transformer!

Reply to
ARW

Heathfield was only an example:-) One of the many brands I have fitted.

And there are 1200x60 fittings as well.

Reply to
ARW

I have fluorescent under cupboard lighting in the kitchen. The rest is halogen. I ended up with (IIRC) Philips 32 tubes which seem to match the halogen well as regards colour rendering and looks. But they aren't something you'll find in a shed or even as stock at most wholesalers.

My experience too, so far. I want lighting which works for me, rather than simply to be 'in fashion' or save a couple of quid in leccy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)