Ceiling cove around tops of kitchen cupboards?

Thinking ahead a couple of months to the kitchen fitting:

I have decided to have tall wall units that go nearly to the ceiling[1]

- TBP they will stop level with the bottom of the 100mm cove.

So I need to run some more Gyproc Lite around the cupboards.

The best idea I've had is to fit the cupboards, screw a bit of batten along the top of the front and end edges flush with the frontage, then pinkGrip (or whatever is most suitable) some Gyroc Lite between the batten and the ceiling, caulking in and painting white.

Sound like a reasonable approach - or is there a more standard solution to this?

[1] I hate cupboards that stop short by a foot of the ceiling - just get used for crap storage and the crap gets filthy. Might as well have an extra enclosed shelf even if it needs steps to get to...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Around the wall at the back of the cupboards, or fitting a fillet panel at the top of the cupboards to close the gap with the ceiling, and then running cove round that so that the cove is in front of the cupboards?

Sounds like the latter.

I would fix a batten on top of the cupboards (before hanging!) and a batten on the ceiling. Insert a strip of plasterboard and screw to the battens, then fix the cove to that.

Indeed - although it gets a bit more tricky with tall ceilings.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John,

In front - the original cove will remain at the back.

it seemed neater to stop the cupboards 3" short of the ceiling rather than jam them up tight.

Thanks for that.

Yes - only 2.4m here so works out quite well with "tall" cupboards - the bottoms end up more or less where expected.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Coving is sooo 1980's Tim :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , Tim Watts writes

It's what my kitchen fitter did. He then fitted a decorative beaded moulding in the same colour/pattern as the cupboard doors (the same stuff that runs under the cupboards) along the top edge, leaving a small gap for ventilation. Looks good. The gap is big enough to pass some of those slimline link-lights through and I am thinking of adding those as indirect lighting. There's a spare circuit up there running to the wall switch - glad I asked for that now.

Remember to paint the ceiling first.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You haven't noticed I am so anti-fashion-fads-tv-makeover-homes-magazine-arse-bollocks that I'd almost do the opposite just to prove it?

;-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah - so the trim was a similar form factor to the cove - and it is just fixed to the tops of the cupboards?

That's quite a big gap then. Wonder why he didn't go right up and caulk it in? Perhaps the movement is prone to cracking there...

Good thinking. I have the potential for upto 4 lighting circuits, all

2-way, or more circuits if some aren't 2-way.

Naturally :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

There was a whole fashion built on that, IIRC it was called punk. There were a lot of fashion followers that did that.

Reply to
dennis

Some of us grew up in the 80's and that is what we like. (trendy is not a word often used to describe me!)

Reply to
John Rumm

I love the old moulded covings used in the Victorian houses. I hate the modern coving used in new houses.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not sure if I hate modern coving - in the sense that its better than none to my tastes. However I grew up in a Victorian semi, where elaborate coves on ceilings "papered" with heavily indented Lincrusta papers were the norm, as were French polished mahogany mantles and fire surrounds, so appreciate that the modern equivalent is not a patch on the real deal.

Reply to
John Rumm

There speaks an idiot with no idea of what punk was all about...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , Tim Watts writes

To the top of the cupboards. Can take a snap if you'd like.

It's about an inch. Ventilation?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson