CD Player nearly dead?

I have a Sony music centre (Mini - radio, twin cassette / CD. Quite good but maybe 15 years old). The CD seemed to have stopped working - it displayed "No Disc" and made a clicking noise.

Last night I put a cleaning CD in it and - behold it started to play it. However, on some CDs it still doesn't recognise them and play them - just the clicking (lens hitting the CD as it tries to focus??). All the CDs are original ones (not PC made). I recall from some years ago when I took it apart to fix a Cassette problem that it is a pain to get to the CD - they are so cheap now that I am wondering if I am likely to be able to improve it - or has it got a terminal illness (weak laser or something?)

Reply to
John

If you are able to remove the cover to get to see the lens, look at it with a strong magnifying glass. There is possibly dust on it.

Reply to
Matty F

I am afraid its much more likely that the laser output has deteriorated down below the minimum threshold required. They become tired and like all devices their emissions drop.You can replace the laser (not easy to get to) but after 15 years lets face it, it owes you nothing.

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

Replaceing the laser is a very trick job. The replacement (if you can get one) is sometimes crimped in place. It's not a real option imho. Having said that - maybe it is possible to get a complete replacement cd-player section - I mean just the cd player section itself?

Reply to
dave

You have it backwards: such sterling service means the CD player deserves only the best of treatment and repair.

Not that I've fixed my old CBM777 portable cd player, which also managed about 15 years.

#Paul

Reply to
news09paul

Slightly drifting the thread. I was given a Playstation/2 on FreeCycle which turned out to have a weak laser. I successfully replaced the laser and it's now as good as new.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks for the advice - I have taken the covers off - wound the head to an accessible position and used my camera cleaning kit to clean the lens. Alas - still only playing some and jumping a bit so I guess it is getting weak and will have to go in the bin.

Reply to
John

The LASER LED is nearly dead. The clicking is the focus server hitting it's endstops trying to 'see' something recognisable.

It is possible to replace the LASER, but usually bloody tricky. I've generally given up after an hour or so of each that I've tried to replace.

I think the claening disc is a red herring. I've never, ever, known one do any good whatsoever. Nice quick profit for someone though (cheap disk, little brush, looks like magic, doesn't work).

Al.

Reply to
Al

Yep, about all they could do is clean the lens which rarely gets that dirty anyway. But I suppose it makes some people feel better that at least they have *tried* something before throwing it out ;)

In the types of pickup which have them, cleaning the mirror sometimes works for a while - when you can get to it at least ;) I have a Sony "MHC" type unit which needs the mirror cleaned every so often, but that has IMO a design flaw in that the CD unit is on the top and the pickup positioned right under a ventilation slot....

Lee

Reply to
Lee

That is what mine is MHC-1500. Not seen the mirror. Where is it? I guess the laser points horizontally and then turns 90deg with the mirror. Would like to try it before binning it. My CD unit is at the bottom, Then 2 tape decks then the tuner.

Reply to
John

Found the manual - not much use though

John

I think there's a reasonable market for replacement playstation-2 lasers, though - I remember looking a year or so ago and there were quite a few places offering replacements (for reasonable amounts of money too). Finding a laser for "15 year old random unit" might be a bit more tricky.

(my Philips LV-ROM is getting on for 25 years old now and still running happily, but then I suppose the size of the laser is an order of magnitude bigger than a CD; maybe the larger size allowed for engineering that would make 'em last longer)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Reply to
John

Please don't. I agree with Paul in this thread.

"You have it backwards: such sterling service means the CD player deserves only the best of treatment and repair."

A replacement laser is about £15

all-in replacement job shouldn't top £50 including labour. It's also not out out of the realms of DIY, given that googling KSS240A brings back stories of non-service trade folks that have done this.

However, if inclined to go this way have a read of

including the safety and static warnings and diagnosis procedure (before ordering the laser module). I'd get a tech to sort it if it were me.

What can you buy today for £50 that is built as well, and has tape decks?

Reply to
Adrian C

On 20 Jul 2009 11:24:15 GMT, Huge had this to say:

To record/play tapes?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Encouraging - thanks for taking the time to identify the model. I am going to try and remove the laser head to evaluate a DIY job.

Any tips (whilst I gather my tools).

Reply to
John

Got it out - struggled a bit as it needed to go downwards and I thought it would come out the top.

Just hope I haven't damaged anything with static.

Reply to
John