CCTV Video Capture

Page 1 of 2
I'm in the process of wireing the house up with coax and cat5 cable as well as installing an alarm system.
What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.
My research so far has been informative, apart from finding out about the capture cards that I can get for my PC.
To date I've come to the conclusion that what I want/need (to start with) is a 4-port PCI card. Of the few I can find any details of on the web or in the newsgroups is the Trust 814. But in previous posts (ages ago) it seems I'm limited to only one card in a PC. I can find this for sale (@60 at the moment) online.
Other cards that have been mentioned such as the PICO 2000 I don't seem to be able to find and the other systems I can find are complete systems, such as the geovision. I'm not looking for a software element as I'll be building a Linux based PC.
So has anyone any suggestions as to a) a make of card that would be useful, and b) where I can get these cards.
I've already ooked at Henrys.co.uk and rfcomponents.co.uk for cameras and stuff.
Any suggestions?
(Cross posted on uk.d-i-y and uk.tech.electronic-security)
--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)

You could have bought USB based cameras. The camera sensor will be the same CCD, but the signals are kept in a computer friendly fashion rather than converted to an analogue signal that the computer requires expensive hardware to understand.
Christian.
...But you're limited by cable length with USB, and they tend to be "webcams" and not proper outdoor cameras...

Beat me to it Alan.
I've discounted USB cameras and usb capture cards for a number of reasons, which include:
* Limited length for cable runs unless you include repeaters which just ups the cost. * USB tends to be webcams which wont stand up to being situated outside. * USB has greater limitations on the amount of data that can be captured compared to a PCI card. * I want to distribute the incoming signals around the house so I can also "watch" the cameras on the nearest TV if I so choose. I can see who's at the front door by switching channels doing this
What I didn't (forgot) to mention is that the PC that I intend to use will be up in the loft where all the cat5 and coax will be terminating. So I'm looking at a 30+ft run of cable for the front door camera, regardles of system used.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
Big Tim wrote:

You can get ethernet connected external cameras. You give the camera an address with RARP and away you go.
There's one used here....
http://library.open.ac.uk/newbuilding/webcam.html

www.cpc.co.uk an example http://tinyurl.com/rvoc
at the moment) online.

try http://www.tomshardware.com/ they did an article on setting up such a system a while back.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:52:50 GMT, "BigWallop"

Ooo, look at that. Thats some impressive looking kit. No prices on site, but I'm guessing that it's way out of my budget. Not that I'm sure what that is yet :-)
See further down there -vvv- for more info...
--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
at the moment) online.

Or any of these:
http://www.cybertronix.co.uk/jvccams.htm
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:54:21 GMT, "BigWallop"

Like the Sony stuff, this looks pretty good but I think this solution will cost more than is in the Kitty.
Keep going -vvv-
--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
at the moment) online.

Or this:
http://www.y3kstore.com/content.php?categoryId 8
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:56:06 GMT, "BigWallop"

This is the sort of thing I'd like to set up, but what this company is offering, like a number of others I've found, is a complete solution. So they supply the PCI card, the cameras and the software (and cable and stuff).
But I'm not sure what I want in the way of cameras yet, am thinking of using a Linux PC and ZoneMinder's (free) software and so a complete solution isn't the right solution for me. At the moment anyway.
What I'm trying to find out is where I can get the 3/4 camera PCI cards from although they seem to be a very rare thing indeed, unless you happen to be buying a complete solution of course.
I had it in my mind that I'd get a card and put in my PC, then get a camera and play about connecting it up using either alarm cable or cat5 cable so that I could supply the 12v down the wire and avoid the need for a local power supply for the camera.
Once I had this sorted I'd then get the additional cameras. My camera list is something along the lines of Front Door spyhole/external, Lounge, Kitchen and one external covering the Drive and Caravan. The BIG plan is to make the internal cameras part of the alarm system, so if someone gets in the house then I've got pictures of them.
So, in my enthusiasm I thought it'd take an hour to find a PCI card, then order a card based camera and I'd have a "Project" for the weekend. It was while trying to find "lots of choice" that I found that's there's very little choice out there.
What it looks like I'll be getting tomorrow is the Trust 814 PCI interface (http://www.trust.com/home/ and follow the products > security camera systems links) for about 70 and a board camera from somewhere. On one of the NGs I've read that only one board can be in a PC so that is a limitation, but as I can't find an alternative and I should manage to cover the house with 4 cameras...
Thanks for the responses.
--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)

How about this off eBay - They are always avalable! http://tinyurl.com/rz0f
Here is some info if you can't be arsed to look at eBay
Excellent Quality DSR Card (4 Channels) for Home/Office surveillance and security. Each PCI card supports 4 BNC/RCA cameras, and can chain up to 4 cards per PC, i.e. 16 Channels per DVR PC.
This robust DSR Card supports sophisticated functionalities including: - 16 channel recording (using 4 cards together) - remote monitoring through Internet / LAN - time-stamped recording - motion detection
Specifications:
DSR Card full resolution video: PAL (768x576), NTSC(640x480) generic PCI slot compatible available in all PCs 4 x BNC/RCA Video Input 1 x DB25 female connector for Alarm triggering 1 xDB15 female connector for Alarm triggering Video Server Software
runs on MS Windows 98/2000/NT (XP and 2003 is not officially support, but tested by our engineers, and it runs OK) low hardware requirement: PIII 450Mhz, 128Mb RAM, 10GB HDD, Network Card/Modem full resolution video: PAL (768x576), NTSC(640x480) configurable up to 16 camera (simple insert 4 DSR cards on the same PC) 16-channel digital multiplexing real-time digital video compression 7x24 remote access service through TCP/IP(Internet) and/or modem dial-up user access right control for different operations video playback using Media Player Pan/Tilt/Zoom Control motion detection recording alarm triggered recording programmable timer recording multilingual capability Remote Monitor runs on MS Windows 98/2000/XP/2003 extreme low hardware requirement: PII 233Mhz MMX, 64Mb RAM, 5GB HDD, Network Card/Modem password login and event log remote online video viewing local recording of video at remote machine remote historical video playback (both local and server video records) alarm alert function
Sparks...
Sparks wrote:

Looks like the thing I want/need and I couldn't find it earlier this week. Not used to ebay I'm afraid. I'll keep my eye on it to see what it finally goes for. Thought the 20 postage is going to bump the final price up somewhat.
--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)
Sparks wrote:

I've just remembered about this and checked it and it's gone for 21. So with P&P that's 41.
I've also sussed out that the seller has a number of auctions on the go at once, so there's a PCI card each day so I could have a go at getting one. But I *want* something this week and so I don't think I have the patience to keep bidding till I get one and then wait till it arrives from Hong Kong.
Thanks for the pointer though.
--
Big Tim
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)

Or even these:
http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/Computer-CCTV.htm
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:57:19 GMT, "BigWallop"

First thing I spotted was " Supports up to 4 cameras (colour OR black & white, not both)" so that looks like a negative (sorry, I only noticed what I'd typed after I'd typed it) as I'm not sure if the outside camera will be B&W or colour. I'm still looking into what "lux" and IR means :-). I think I want all the cameras to be colour, but (and this may be a dumb question) can you see the IR "lights" when they are activated? I had planned on trying to hide the outdoor camera, but I suppose if it's high enough up then only the window cleaner can have it away.
The Stingray 4 Port PCI thingy looks like the type of thing, but it's 190 before you've got a camera. Have I mentioned I have (deep pockets, short arms) a budget?
Still looking like the Trust 814.
--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)

budget colour one - good colour cameras + lens = big outlay

We tried several 4 port cards & all seem to share the same chipset - the difference was the drivers which is CRITICAL to the PC running the card.

Tried that - didn't work with supplied software but worked with 3rd party software which didn't have motion detection.
This worked with windows XP http://tinyurl.com/rylq
We don't use it for motion detection or recording (VCR rack for that) but feed it from banks of multiplexers for screen captures for the Police.
The multiplexers are fed from a huge variety of cameras (all auto iris) auto infra red night vision, programable CCD that can 'look' into areas of vastly different light level, remote ones which are wireless linked - some are 240v & plug into a mains socket & some are run via 300ft of multicore camera cable
Chris Oates wrote:

Which at this moment in time, isn't possible :-(

Noted
Which may be why cyberselect.co.uk wont let Alan have one (see post down -vvv- there)

I'm looking at using Linux based software ZoneMinder as featured in Novembers Linux Format. (But that could all go pear-shaped...)

This is more like it. The other url you gave the other day pointed at stuff that I thought too "fancy" for my needs/wants so I sort of gave up on it.
The Grandtec stuff looks to be promising. I'll be off trying to find their homepage to find out more about each of the cards.

Thanks for the pointers.