Cctv over internet - anyone set up a H264 dvr with plusnet technicolour 852n router

Hi. I have a home cctv system and want to connect it to the internet so I c an look at the dvr output and control playback etc. I have connected the dvr to one of the sockets on the router and have tried connecting to the dvr from my laptop. A screen opens up but gives a messag e that a plug in is required to display an image of the dvr monitor screen. Can anyone suggest what plug in is required please?

Reply to
johnjessop46

It would be helpful to know the manufacturer of the CCTV system and which browser(s) you've tried ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Therein lies a problem the dvr has no brand name on it. The original cardbo ard box is printed Network Digital Video Recorder. On a stick on label it s ays model KR-6116V PAL/NSTC made in China. I have a minidisc from the packa ging that contained some viewer software and a dvrcms program but these see m unable to pick up anything from the dvr and the instruction file was writ ten by someone who used English as a second language to put it kindly. I used firefox browser to call the dvr address of the dvr 192.168.1.93 whic h I found on the dvr menu screen.

Reply to
johnjessop46

Give it a try with IE, these things have a tendency to use ActiveX controls, though the reference to H264 might hold some hope, I think recent firefox includes a codec for that courtesy of Cisco .

You might need to get a bit technical and look at the source of the web page to see what it's trying to do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

If using IE and enabling ActiveX doesn't work, try downloading VLC media player as a browser plugin, it seems to cope with most things.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog