CB radio installation success

Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to use two whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be good to go.

Simon Mason

I was "Top Dog" in Tower town (Blackpool) 35 years ago. Had this Colt rig with hi, low, medium and hyperspace ............ or something. DV27 twig on a Mk 3 Cortina rotbox. Then, a Firestik in the loft of a shack up with some girl. She had big t*ts.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I thought CB radio died out in the 1980s. I guess that's an AM set (judging by the AM indicator on the photo). I recall many people used AM sets with high-power amps, but they used to be illegal.

Is there anyone still around on CB?

Reply to
Caecilius

There are more people around here on CB than there are on 2m ham radio which is usually dead 24/7.

I have adjusted the set now to UK frequencies and FM mode, but it is unusable at present as I need an external SWR calibrator - nothing is ever simple.

Simon Mason

fear not, both the transceiver and the little 20W linier amplifier are illegal for him to use. He's also posted it via Google Groups which always passes your IP address in the header, which is like one of us posting that we had just stolen a TV set from Currys and put our address in the sig.

On the other hand, OFCOM doesn't have many recourses for this kind of thing, but on the other other hand there's not much to do in the kingdom of Kingston.

Reply to
Graham.

It is a 100W amp, not 20W

Agreed - there was a local pirate on 90.5 MHz for 2 years and bugger all was done about him.

but on the other other hand there's not much to do in the

Plenty to do.

Simon Mason

Was this due to the RF exposure?

I believe at the moment the use of fm only has been waived but the power restrictions of 4 watts is still in place. I bet nobody who uses it has any idea of the actual power being sent out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

At least I don't stick a mobile phone next to my brain.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Along the same lines of proclaiming illegal behaviour, I wonder what Simon decided to do after askng here whether to make a false insurance claim because it was taking him too long to polish out a scratch on his windscreen.

Reply to
pamela

Complete waste of time. Don't you have a mobile phone?

Reply to
harry

Yes - here it is.

Simon Mason

Well use that if you want to talk to a fellow moron instead of broadcasting bullshit over the ether.

Reply to
harry