Cavity wall insulation

Local Council ad in the paper for energy efficiency, so I'm wondering about cavity wall insulation, will it leave the outside of the house peppered with dots !!, what size hole for injection and at what intervals? And are the savings worth it? Cheers,

Reply to
Staffbull

It depends on the contractor and what sort but the savings far outweigh the aesthetic drawbacks.

Undoubtedly.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Not so you'd notice!

The comfort is, the savings probably are too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It depends rather on the wall finish and the care and skill of the contractor.

The flats opposite me have a rendered finish and the infill dots are noticeable, but not terribly intrusive.

In a brick wall with regular mortar lines and a variation in brick colour making matching the colour more difficult, the holes would be much more noticeable.

Probably still worth doing though, for economy and comfort, and the added value of the insulation to the house price would more than offset the slight detraction in exterior appearance (unless, of course, the house is particularly delightful to start with).

I think I'd have the contractor start at the back until I saw how well he was filling the holes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Just make sure you do not have a garage on the side of your house or it will cost you about £600. Ron

Reply to
Ron

If you care enough, you could scoop the last 1cm out of the hole before it set, and then contrive a matching solution.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Usually 12mm diameter holes, roughly at one metre intervals vertically and horizontally, usually through the mortar between bricks, unless rendered in which case they just drill through. Typical heat loss is 30% through uninsulated cavity walls, so your house will immediately feel warmer. Also, in older houses with suspended wooden floors, under-floor draughts and draughts through upstairs floors are often reduced.

Reply to
Codswallop

snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...> Local Council ad in the paper for ene= rgy efficiency, so I'm wondering

We got quoted =A3494 yesterday for a 3 bed detached with single storey extension. Last February a 3 bed without extension cost =A3160. Both from the same company.

Inflation seems to have the roof in Dorset

Reply to
Woby Tide

When we had ours done I asked them to fill the holes with a matching 'mortar' (the original was red, we pointed with mastic sand when we moved in). They said that they couldn't so they knocked quite a sum off the bill so that we could do it ourselves. We never got round to it and the other week I was looking for the holes - which they filled with ordinary mortar. It took a long time to find them - to my surprise.

Oh absolutely, I couldn't agree more. the visual impact is very small and could be resolved if it were thought necessary.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thats where It'd be tricky, its a double fronted house. It's dashed in white and black stone, the extension has been done in the same and the match is so so. I'm afraid of having it look like a Dalmation !!! :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:17:44 +0100 someone who may be "Codswallop" wrote this:-

It will also be cooler in summer, as less heat will be conducted in through the walls.

Reply to
David Hansen

i used to do this for a living (about 20 years ago) and we used t pride ourselves on trying to leave no trace of any drilling. it' probably almost impossible to completely disguise the holes but an decent company should be trying to be better at it than thei competitor's. we used to use various coloured powders/dyes to mix with the cement o in your case from what i can remember i would mix white paint with th cement and pick the stones up that were knocked out by the drilling an stick them in the wet cement. hope this is of some help, pitbul

-- pitbull

Reply to
pitbull

done for nowt as I'm unemployed at the mo, make hay while the sun shines and all that !!!

Reply to
Staffbull

I've decided to get it done, as the asthetics come second to keeping the house warm cheaper, but thanks for the pointers on minimising the visual impact :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

When we did houses with a whiteish render, we pointed the holes up[1] with tyrolean which dries almost brilliant white, occasionally we would do a yellow, blue, pink or whatever colour and I never did one that I had to touch up th holes afterwards with paint, we also carried 6 or 7 colours of mortar dye, red, buff(yellow) black, brown, green and blue...with these we could make a mix suitable for any house.

We wore 'marigold' type rubber gloves and pointed each hole up with a 'sausage' of mortar pushed deep into the hole and smoothed with the fingers, some firms (not naming names here) would use a trowel but the problem with this was that they only got a quarter inch of mortar over the end, after a year or two it had washed away. The repointing is done as each hole is finished.

Reply to
Phil L

On 26 Oct 2006 09:22:58 -0700 someone who may be "Staffbull" wrote this:-

Get the loft done as well, if it isn't already. Cavity wall and loft insulation will ISTR reduce heat losses by something like 60%. They should also do draught proofing. Also insulate heating pipes, hot water pipes and a badly lagged hot water cylinder.

Reply to
David Hansen

Reply to
Staffbull