cavity wall insulation

We are having it installed in our 1930's red brick semi soon. It has a single story extension on the side, and during the survey I was told that the portion of old exterior wall now enclosed by the extension will still need drilling and filling. I don't see why as it's no longer outside and so can't loose heat other than into the extension which is itself heated. If I can get them to leave this wall then it would save a lot of cleaning up and redecorating afterwards.

Any thoughts ? the filling will be blown fibre which is both sticky so it stays in place and also treated against moisture.

Reply to
Pete Cross

I guess they want more work so they can get paid more. Either its a dodgy game to get more grant money and end up costing you less, or theyre trying to sting you, or less likely, they dont know one body part from another. Either way I'd look elsewhere.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On the contrary, this is standard practice, well it is amongst CW installers worth their salt. As has been mentioned on this forum before (mainly by me) blown wool CWI has to be a complete install, IE, right up to the roof, any voids in it cause damp problems, even if these voids are now 'indoors'. Yes, some builders put in a cavity tray in the house wall when building extensions, but many do not, meaning that if they tried to fill the cavity above the extension without filling below first, what's the insulation supposed to sit on? - it can't float in mid cavity so it just falls down leaving gaps all over the place. They are not filling this portion of the wall as a way of saving heat, they are filling it to prevent damp occuring in other parts of the house. Our general modus operandi was to drill each hole carefully (with the place dustsheeted up of course) and with an operative holding a shovel directly below the drill bit, tight up to the wall...usually no more than 4 or 5 holes. Each hole is then blown and then pointed up with sand/cement leaving it slightly hollow for polyfilla, a final cleanup inside will leave no more dust then you could fit on a teaspoon and 4 or 5 ten pence sized patches to fill and paint.

As an aside the blown wool is not sticky, it resembles cotton wool and is bone dry, although it is treated against moisture, this is done at manufacturing stage and is odourless.

Reply to
Phil L

Hi I have just changed my gas and electric supplier to London Energy and they have a deal for getting cavity wall insulation for £125. Anyone else took them up on the offer and does it seem like a good deal?

Tricia

Reply to
Tricia

dont use them as my supplier but it sounds good to me trish,,youll feel the difference

joe

tarquinlinbin

I used them and i live in Yorkshire, I get everything from British Gas.

Used Jan 2005 cost =A3125. My installers came from York.

darren

Reply to
darren_forward

The message from "Tricia" contains these words:

That would depend entirely on the size, shape and construction of your house.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks Tricia

Just ring a few CWI companies out of the yellow pages and ask for ballpark quotes, you'll find that an average 3 bed semi is around £400, a mid terraced around £300, a detatched bungalow £400, and semi bungalow is £300. Detatched houses are obviously more, so unless you live in a *really* tiny house, I'd say you were getting it for less than half price, and don't forget that it works both ways, it will keep the house cooler in summer, and Southern Britain is expected to have average summer temperatures similar to those of Paris (now) within the next 15 - 20 years.

The prices mentioned above were prices I worked with about 4 years ago and in northern England, if you live South of Watford expect them to be 20 - 30% higher.

Reply to
Phil L

Guy King typed

and if the operatives damage your phone wiring, which might cost a bit to fix...

(My wall cavities were insulated as part of a Local Authority initiative. I didn't pay any money as I am on Disability Living Allowance. Unfortunately, one of the chaps leant his ladder on my external phone cable...)

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Thanks Tricia

I'm with London Energy. They may not be the cheapest but for customer service they're second to none. Unlike Scottish Power who are usually one of the cheapest but the other end of the scale for CS.

I had my cavity wall insulation done last year by a nationwide installer. I think they were called Coronet. I think every installer offers subsidised grant installation now.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Helen Deborah Vecht has brought this to us :

...and its repair should cost you nothing. The bill for the repair should have been paid by the insurance of the company installing the insulation.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"RedOnRed" wrote in news:445252e3$0$702$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Have a look at this:

John Carlyle-Clarke

|"RedOnRed" wrote in |news:445252e3$0$702$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk: | |> |> "Tricia" wrote in message |> news:Bdp4g.60917$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk... | |>> Hi I have just changed my gas and electric supplier to London Energy |>> and they have a deal for getting cavity wall insulation for ?125. |> | |> I had my cavity wall insulation done last year by a nationwide |> installer. I think they were called Coronet. I think every installer |> offers subsidised grant installation now. |> | |Have a look at this: | |

you can thank the Deputy Prime Minister for a lump of the subsidy. It is all part of reducing the countries CO2 emissions. Pity I get nothing for insulation I had put in years ago.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

And I get none for the DIY I'm doing now. (no cavity)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

It doesn't bother me that we had no grant, we wanted to do it for comfort and to save emissions. Is there anything wrong with that?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Of course not.

It's just that many of these initiatives penalise the capable DIYer, for little reason other than it's easier for the beurocracy.

I have no problem with requiring the installation to completely comply with some code, and be inspected, before getting the grant.

An installer that does them all day, and can't do one DIY, on his own house is the extreme example.

CO2 emissions should be a strong priority for government.

If only for the simple reason that most of our energy is now imported, which damages our economy by making us need to fight harder to maintain the balance of trade.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hurrah!

I mean it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 25 Oct 2006 20:44:13 GMT someone who may be Ian Stirling wrote this:-

And this sort of thing is being made worse constantly. It is the rise of the paper-pushers.

Reply to
David Hansen