Cavity insulation, how do you know if you have it?

When we bough out house we were told verbally it has cavity insulation.

We have nothing in writing and several other things we were tile have tuned out to be incorrect. Is there an easy way to determine whether insulation is present?

Reply to
mike

The injection holes should be visible, near the top of outside walls and spaced 1m or so apart. They should be neatly plugged with consistent material, if it was all done in one job. HTH

mike wrote:

Reply to
Steve Walker

Assuming that it's a retro-fit - and not built in on day one - they will have had to drill a matrix of holes through the mortar at intervals of about

1 metre in order to inject the insulation. They will have filled the holes, of course, but they are usually still visible if you look closely.

Failing that, remove a brick and look inside the cavity. If there's nothing but fresh air . . . you'll know the answer!

Reply to
Set Square

What's the age of the house? What's the wall construction (e.g. brick outer, thermal block inner)? Were you told what type of cavity insulation? Some types used to be blown in through ~1" holes (and probably still are for retrospective installations). If there are any areas unplastered on the inside, can you see any such holes drilled every few feet (and possibly mortared over). Might alternatively have been done from the outside. Have you ever drilled a hole right through the wall?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Extension in question was built in 1976.

Render, Block, Cavity, Block, Plaster

No, well I dont remember so.

Now theres a thought, I dont think I have. Might do so this weekend.

Reply to
mike

Take a brick out, or a window / door.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Look in the loft, if its been sightly overfilled then some might be visible.

Reply to
Martin Evans

Check for signs of carefully filled holes about 1m apart on the outside walls. You could drill the outside wall and see if there are traces of the filling material on the drill or on a bent piece of wire that you stick in the hole.

Another sign is comparatively low heating bills! I had cavity wall insulation fitted a couple of years ago and the difference is truly amazing. I can utterly recommend it to anyone. You can also easily obtain a grant towards large part of the relatively low cost(and no, I don't work for an insulation company). If you find you don't have it, get it done asap.

Incidentally, I think it may also help somewhat with damp problems on the internal wall. It would seem logical that moisture will condense on the now much colder outside wall, having evaporated from the usually warmer inside one. Just my guess.

M.K.

M.K.

Reply to
markzoom

If you have a suspended floor, and can get underneath for access, you might be able to see insulation at the airbricks, as the wall cavity is visible at the airbricks.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece