Caveat Emptor - Plumbing Work and Part P

Hi all

Just comment really, but may be of interest:

I have recently had some plumbing upgrade work carried out, not strictly DIY, a bit beyond my current motivation levels unfortunately :(. Anyway, gave them a seriously detailed spec and believe I now have a decently controlled modern system - far from the hacked about 1970s mess that I started with.

Fortunately, within my spec. I included the requirement for all relevant certification, boiler registration, Part P etc. When the boss man of the plumbing company called to check I was satisfied with the install I complained a little about the quality of wiring around the boiler - buried as requested, but no conduit used. I also suggested that this may infringe Part P requirements, but provided it was safe and I had the necessary certification I would live with it. He had forgotten about the Part P bit (I believe quite genuinely) so my Mrs had to let the sparky in that same afternoon to do the testing.

The point I am coming to with all this rambling is:

My contract was with the plumbing company and I will be paying them for all works. This is a well respected local business employing 10 installers. Had I not been aware of Part P and specifically asked for the paper work, it would not have been supplied. This seems close to negligence on the part of the plumbing company who basically sub the electrical work to a local contractor.

So who is at fault, the plumber as the main contractor, the electrician for not fulfilling the regs, or me for expecting either of them to be even slightly interested in all the Part P crap?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Sorry to be obtuse, but which part of the work fell under Part P? Was a new circuit added for the boiler or did they just connect up/extend the existing circuit?

Reply to
thankyousam

"thankyousam" wrote

Yes I wasn't sure myself but:

According to "Niceic Pocket Guide 8" it is sort-of-caught on 2 counts in my case:

1) The boiler is installed in a kitchen and a new FCU was added - actually there was one already there, but the fitting was moved a bit and renewed. 2) Power or control wiring for a new central heating system is notifiable - you could argue that the system wasn't entirely new, but the boiler and all control elements were.

So having re-launched the thought process on this one, I suppose they might just have got away without doing the checks, but it would certainly have meant interpreting the regs hugely in their favour.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Ah yes, my mistake. It's been a while since I checked what is actually notifiable. I have plans in with the local BCO which covers my entire rewire so don't tend to worry about the finer points of what is and isn't notifiable.

Reply to
thankyousam

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:17:08 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "TheScullster" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Electrical work which is the "installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations as a necessary adjunct to or arising out of other work being carried out by [a person registered by CORGI Services Limited]" is not notifiable.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Phil,

Your contract was with the 'Main Contractor' and he would ultimately be responsible for all of the works, quality control and ensuring that all necessary documentation was available (Building Control or otherwise).

It also follows that he would be the point-of-contact for complaints if any of his sub-contractors works prove to be defective.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

CORGI ask for a lot of extra money (£250 /year) from it's members so they can self-certify boiler supplies and wiring.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I presume there's no test or anything? At least, the CORGI I had dealings with recently who was able to self-certify associated supplies and wiring had absolutely no clue -- he was asking me everything. In the end, I did most of the electrical work and then he self-certified that. Some time later, CORGI actually came and inspected the installation, and I passed;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Of course, the original plumber might not have been CORGI registered :-(

I'm sure it's a bargain when you consider all the work they do in assessing applicants, carrying out on-site inspections, offering customers a dispute arbitration service, offering members a 24-hour free videophone technical support line staffed by lady electrical engineering graduates of Uppsala university.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Wonder what checks they make that their members so certified have clue about wiring? Do they ask for details of qualifications?

It's just that to wire up some boiler installations from scratch properly is probably a deal more complicated than a complete house basic re-wire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Brian G" wrote

Yes, my sentiments exactly. But the plumber was definitely distancing himself from the electrical work and any responsibility for it. Fortunately I believe I have found one of those rare animals - a tradesman with a conscience and some sense of right and wrong. Granted, I had all the system requirements clearly documented and got him to sign said document when I signed the agreement for him to carry out the works. But, any niggles I have had he has arranged to have resolved/reworked without question. His installer is returning on Monday to swap the feed and return piping to the downstairs having "crossed over" the existing flow and return :(.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Hugo Nebula" wrote

Not quite clear in the original post. The replaced wiring includes a feed to the boiler, renewed pump and zone valves as well as hw controller, 2 room stats and tank stat. So not just LV stuff.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Mains wiring is known in the larger scheme of things as low voltage wiring. Just to confuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

1) He may or may not have signed up for the Part-P stuff. 2) If he did then he will have had to go on and pass a mini domestic orientated electrical course (DISQ) or have full CG qualifications. The course covers most aspects except for the design of a complete domestic installation. You would certainly need at least "a clue" to pass. 3) You are of course meant to test installations, continuity, polarity, insulation, loop (and RCD if needed). And of course fill out a stack of bumph. However in practice for minor work...
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes and there is a domestic electrician 'lite' qualificationn for this.

Indeed so. That's probably why so many are done wrong.

Reply to
Ed Sirett