Cautionary chimney story

Well I'm going to be about =A3400 out of pocket because I haven't been cleaning my chimney properly.

It was built a bit over 20 years ago with an 8" clay liner. The mistake I made was to sweep it with the ball, rope and brush I'd inherited from my father who had used it to sweep large old fashioned stone flues. I was always a bit suspicious it was too large a brush as I was always struggling a bit to get it to reverse and come back up again. So the nett result was that accumulatively over the years the bottom section was not getting cleaned - even when I changed over to rods and a smaller brush.

And of course the crisis arose when it finally wouldn't let any smoke through at all !!

Call in the professionals - "It's blocked, sir - you've not been sweeping it properly".

"Yes I know - and I plead guilty, but haven't you got a drain cleaner like thing to clear it?"

These do exist but are not recommended for clay liners as they will just chew through the liner where there is a bend. So the only solution was to break into the flue from the room and clear it out. Result two large sacks full of soot and a replastered patch on the wall, that "her-indoors" is now going to use as an excuse for re-decorating the room.

One thing I did get told was that if you are burning wood, it is best to sweep the chimney quarterly (obviously with the right equipment). The professionals do not rate the powder that I bought to crystalise the creosote. Better to sweep regularly they insist.

I would certainly like to put in a plug for Paul Maclenachan near Edinburgh; anyone with chimneys problems in the area, look him up in the Yellow Pages - you won't be disappointed, he was excellent.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

For most people, isn't that the same thing as sweping it annually?

I light my fire regularly, because otherwise I'd be knee-deep is sawdust and offcuts. However it's only 3-4 months of the year where I'm really burning it to keep warm and I just sweep it each Spring.

How many people are really running woodburners year round?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My chimney (Lumb as I live in Aberdeenshire) is eliptical in shape, measuring 11" on the major axis and 9" on the minor axis. It is also completely vertical. This is a single Lumb in an end gable Granite wall and the house was built around 1870. I installed a Bont ESSE solid fuel stove with a water jacket in 1983 and the Lumb has NEVER been swept. I burn a smokeless fuel (Chinacite) and fallen Beech boughs when available. About once a year, after heavy summer rain, some soot will fall and restrict the 90=B0 bend into the stove. I open the inspection hatch and Hoover it out.

In retrospect I think I should have lined the Lumb with 5.5" pipe as this is the size that comes out of the ESSE stove. Due to the change in cross sectional area between the 5.5" and the eliptical Lumb there is not a great deal of draughting and sometimes the fire will smoke when the front doors are open.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Don't know wher abouts you are, Andy, but October through to April for us near Edinburgh. That'll be two sweeps a year from now on. The bill for the immediate repair was =A3360 - don't know how much the total room re-decorating is now going to cost for a patch about 600mm by 200mm.

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

If that really was the only solution, there's serious design fault which ought to be adressed.

Reply to
Chris Bacon