Catnic Lintel, is this the right one?

I have a rotten door frame around my Garidoor up and over garage door, the brick built garage has no lintel above the frame, just a 9" brick wall 6 courses high resting on the 6"x4" header of the door frame.

I spoke to a builder who was working next door and he offered to fit a lintel, I didnt like the price much so he offered to sell me a Catnic lintel trade price so I could do the job.

It turned up yesterday, Its bloody huge and very very heavy!

It has to span a 2270mm entranceway so is 2700mm long and 270mm wide,galvanised and marked up heavy duty, which it certainly is as its all my wife and I can do to just lift it. Never mind getting it 10ft in the air.

He assured me that it was what is required for the job, but I am not sure.

All that is on the labels is "Substituted for type CG" and "for DTS only" and the length.

Can anyone tell me from the above info what this lintel is meant for and what DTS only means please.

Mike.

Reply to
MikeT

Hi

Are you concerned that it isn't up to the job? Or that its over specced and going to be far more trouble than is justiifed?

Given that the current 'lintel' is the timber I guess you don't mean the former.

What profile is yours? Catnic always used to mean the box type to me. But I know they do the 'top hat' type too, which IG seem to be the traditional supplier of. Both of those types are formed with two-leaf walls in mind.

'Light' lintels for use over narrow doors in non-load bearing walls used to be just corrugated steel. Not sure if they still are, or how wide they go.

I think CG is a Catnic product line. Maybe its been discontinued and you have a replacement?

No idea bout DTS.

You could always call Catnic. Manufacturers are usually pretty happy to give basic info on their products.

Also look at

to see if you can find anything that helps?

HTH IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

Thanks Ian for the info, I did try catnic's web site and it appeared down last evening, then today it worked but I couldnt find the exact lintel I have. Its very overspec'd for the job in hand I think I found a part number for it CZH50/125 and its marked up Heavy duty. Thats an understatement I think you could safely build a couple of stories over it without risk.

I have been too busy shed building today but will ring Catnic tomorrow just to find out what DTS means.

Thanks

Mike.

Reply to
MikeT