Cat5e or what?

We're wired direct to the exchange, a couple of miles and a large river away. 2Mbit on a good day.

But there's a lot of loops of fibre dangling from damn near every phone pole around here - so FTTP it'll be, and soon...

Reply to
Adrian

Where is that then? Kingston Communications patch?

The, believed to be 96 core, fibre cable feeding the cabinet down in the village passes under our forecourt and 10' from the front door. So close and yet so far...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can remember a Windows "upgrade" that took over 3 hours to download!

Use used to get about 2.5Mbps on ADSL, then came ADSL2+ which doubled that

- on a good day. I'm aqbout 2km from th exchange. In the autumn I went for FTTC (which is about 100m away) 79Mbps!

Reply to
charles

I think we had '2B+D' (was it?) that gave us 128k bps to provide a WAN link for our Northern office. ;-)

We (I) had a call from a customer using one of our StatMuxes over 64k Kilostream links and she was questioning / complaining how long it took to back up their 1GB worth of data. I offered to do the maths for her ... 1G byte is ~10G bits, divide that by the speed of the link, divide by 60 to get minutes and another 60 to get hours and that's the

*best* time you can get (remembering the 64K link was being shared by other services). The time it actually took was just a bit more that the theoretical time. She thanked me for the explanation and asked why her consultant hadn't explain it to her. ;-)

Yes, it seems we haven't actually moved forward in some instances. I was helping BIL with a 486 PC I built him years ago and he needed to get a file off. The hard drive had stalled so I bump started that and got his file off on floppy. It booted very fast (DOS 6.2 / Win 3.1) and into Automenu. It was only a second to open Wordstar and less to close it. In fact, everything was nearly instant!

I remember downloading Doom from The States over a modem link but it was worth the wait ... playing a multiplayer game over our Co (NetBIOS) network was amazing (in the day). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, the Welsh borders. No cabinets anywhere, just 200-odd homes connected directly to our local exchange (a brick shed in a field of sheep), spreading for a 3-4 mile radius in each direction, with the wiring not exactly wandering in straight lines.

Cheaper and easier to do FTTP than a shitload of cabinets, each serving a couple of houses via a mile of copper for each.

Reply to
Adrian

No, the Welsh borders. No cabinets anywhere, just 200-odd homes connected directly to our local exchange (a brick shed in a field of sheep), spreading for a 3-4 mile radius in each direction, with the wiring not exactly wandering in straight lines.

Cheaper and easier to do FTTP than a shitload of cabinets, each serving a couple of houses via a mile of copper for each.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah great. So I have a hole in the wall with 5 purple, ~15 grey , 8 orange 4 yellow.

Nice to know the purple ones will remain after the fire :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Worth looking at Mifi data over 3G and directional antennae then. Sounds like you are in the same boat as I am. I will report my results. I have all the bits now just waiting for a Roudntuit now.

Bad luck. ADSL signals passing under a water course seem to always be poxy. I am also EO line on the wrong side of the beck and 3km away from the exchange but I am lucky and get 5Mbps (on good days). During bad flooding of the beck it can drop back to 2Mbps. There are a few farmers that get only 1M and one seriously unlucky with just 256k.

The bell wire hack got me +50% improvement in sync rate YMMV.

Hopefully fibre will not be affected by immersion in water unlike the old copper cables. You are lucky to have FTTP - hell will freeze over before we get FTTC or FTTrN up here in North Yorkshire.

The FTTrN experiments have gone awfully quiet (ISTR uneconomic).

Reply to
Martin Brown

Years ago I had a phone call that went something like this:

Them: Hi Tim, when you get a moment can you pop round and see why our network isn't working please?

Me: Sure ... any idea what's not working?

Them: All of it I think.

Me: Oh, ok, any idea why it's all stopped working?

Them: Well, the network cables look like they are melted.

Me: Erm, never seen that before ... any reason why they could have 'melted'?

Them: Ah, you didn't hear about the fire then ... ?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I was 'selling' the benefits of my new Garmin GPS to my Dad. '... and it's waterproof to 5m.'

Dad: I'm not sure how that will help if it's fitted to your motorbike at the time ... ;-)

Reply to
T i m

200m on my direct connection here. 22Mbps down but 1Mbps up makes remote connection virtually impossible.
£200 + VAT a month ?
Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

En el artículo , Adrian escribió:

Shock horror, Openwoe do something sensible for once.

That's interesting. Do you know what the charges will be yet?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , charles escribió:

BT are trialling G.fast - up to 300Mbps.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No. But they've put the cabling to the pole outside EVERY property, and nobody's been asked about whether they want to sign up and pay more or not.

Reply to
Adrian

En el artículo , Adrian escribió:

Ok, ta. It's be interesting to hear what the charges are when the nice BT salesman comes a-calling.

I'm mainly wondering if it'll be priced at a similar level to copper wires (bearing in mind they're installing FTTP in your village only because it's more cost efficient for them), or whether they'll try and screw you over just because it's FTTP.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I suspect it'll be treated as signing up to an FTTC product - BT Infinity or whatever.

Reply to
Adrian

It will be interesting to see if they start to use that approach for other rural locations which don't have cabinets, and what the break even point is for number of dwellings in a location to make a cabinet pay...

Here for example there are approx 12 properties stretched along 300m of road - so one cabinet could serve them all, although at the moment they are all wired back to the exchange over 5000m away.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do you have a scheme along these lines?

Adrian

Fully agree about no point in not using gigabit, but there are still some cheesepared but current machines with only 10/100, such as (first examples I found) HP 250 G4 Laptop and HP 15-ac106na Laptop.

(I keep noticing the odd one here or there - but never remember which ones they are so had to search for examples.)

Reply to
polygonum

It will be LSZH

Reply to
Eednud

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

If we were short of ports in a location, I got the uni's infrastructure dept to call the cabling installers to come and run in a few more.

Users were prohibited from splitting network ports by using switches. These were flagged up on the monitoring systems and appropriate LARTs applied.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson