CAT5 into loft

LOL - we had almost the same issue with an ISDN line at a bank - our systems were failing to dialup to a bank, and we'd call IT there, and they'd fix it - , be fine for a while, then it would happen again a day later. We found out subsequently that they only had 1 free ISDN line, so would swap it between 2 service providers until they got a support call from us or them, and then swap it back... went on for weeks like that!

CandT

Reply to
CandT

Snip

Have you considered replacing/ extending the aerial supplied with the Wireless Router? Some ideas here

News

Oh yes, the first fault they had at this office was before the terminal server was installed I had set them up on the new machines purely for file and print sharing as some of them had this already, (I say some, 4 out of 23), the morning after I had set this up I walk into the office to cries of "I can't print" and "I can't log into sage" and such comments. Upon investigation some-one had turned off the power to the server that was running the DHCP services, the hub and all other computer related equipment in the entire building on their way out in the evening, just as they had done every night for the past 15-20 years apparently!! I could go on, but basically they are clueless when it comes to computers, it's quite a trauma when I hear I have to go up to their office for some reason or another. There's something every other day!!

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

Yep, had thought of that - but the thought of even stronger wifi 'rays' going through me and the family... stupid, but didn't like the idea...

Nope - the thought of having a nice hardwired connection to my router again is much better methinks... So thats what I'm going to do.. So - anyone know of a good online supplier of black cat5e in at least 15M lengths? Dabs have patch leads for 11 quid, but are out of stock...

RS even have external cat 5 cable in black - but only do it in 305M drums !! 130 quid+ ... Grr..

CandT

Reply to
CandT

Shame on you - this is d-i-y - try

very blue-peter-sticky-back-palstic soloution.

Andy McKenzie

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

Isn't telly cable 75 ohm and 10baseT 50 ohm ?

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

How about these instock at ebuyer.co.uk

Quickfind: 25536 Belkin Cat5e Assembled UTP Patch Cable (Black) 15m £8.18 inc vat

Quickfind: 43141 Belkin Cat5e Snagless UTP Patch Cable (Black) 30m £7.52 inc vat

tho' it is patch cable like your dabs reference, not solid cable.

Reply to
Toby

It is - I don't know what the losses would be over such a short distance, or whether you'd get anything at all. I'm sure someone who knows more about propagation theory will fill me in...

Reply to
Grunff

Ah, now where did you get those from?

Reply to
Parish

It would work fine over such a short distance. I have used much longer lengths of 75 ohm in my LAN rather than run a proper cable, when there was 75 ohm already in place.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It is, but if one were to put 50 ohm terminators on the ends, for a short distance like this it would not be a problem.

A couple of old 4 port hubs with an additional BNC 10base2 connector would handle this problem, albeit in a rather OTT way.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi,

You could try putting the router on a phone extension elsewhere on the ground floor, if you have carpet shove the phone wire round the edge underneath! :))) Ebuyer do nice cheap RJ11 leads up to 30m.

Or try a wireless USB adapter for the PC, it will allow you to place it up to 5m away so should get a better signal, and less radio waves if you are sitting at the PC.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

And not forgetting half-duplex. It does make a considerable difference having full duplex when shifting large files across the network. I've got 100BaseT here and if shifting 100's of megs of files across the network full duplex really can be useful.

I'd hate to go back to 10Base2. Okay for the occasional light traffic but a real killer for anything substantial.

PoP

PoP

Sure, but this was for a wireless access point - I suppose 802.11b - and it would match that OK.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you did want to put the AP in the loft, then the simple way to do it without needing to worry about power sockets etc. is using a couple of power over ethernet (POE) adaptors. These plug into your cat5 at both ends and carry the power for the AP over the cat5. At one end you connect the PSU for the AP, at the other end you have a similar adaptor that breaks out the power again.

(They work by using the two spare pairs in a normal cat5 that are not used for data. If you were prepared to make up a custom cat5 cable then you could make your own for next to nothing)

Lots of the usual culprits make them, see here for an example:-

John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

There was an article in recent Personal Computer World magazine about just this exercise.

Reply to
chris French

If you can afford to buy it do so, use what you want, keep a spare length then bung the rest on ebay either as single length or perhaps better per m or 10m.

There has been a couple of requests for external grade CAT5 in here in the last few months so there is a small market out there.

As for routing the cable modern houses have internal soil stacks. These are normally boxed in so have nice big gaps around and the generally go straight up from the concrete raft to the roof space.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

boringly enough I bought a 'kit' from B&Q with 50m of Cat5, and 4 double socketted RJ45's and a bunch of patch cables... Never needed it though as I went Wifi in the end... It's a disposable tool, but it should do the job...

CandT

Reply to
CandT

Actually, there is. 10base 2. OK its suppose to run on 50 ohm not 75 ohm, but with a switch at each end I would say that you could use it. Get an old hub and etherbnet card ;)

Have a look at Black Box or Betterbox. You may find they have bits to utilise 75 ohm co-ax as an ethernet bridge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, they do: at least in the case of BlackBox, they'll charge you maybe

80 quid for a "media convertor" to go between 10base2 and 10baseT. You'll need two of them, one at each end of the coax.

And peope buy these things (though not when spending their own money ;-).

When they're spending their own money, they buy 8-port hobs with a 10base2 'uplink' port; they used to be about 25 quid apiece at The Usual Places (dabs, microwarehouse, etc.), so you got a Meedja Convertor and 7 extra

10baseT ports for a quarter or so of the price of the single-function Black Box oojit. Now that 10baseT is becoming 'old tech' and 10base2 has been for 5 years or more, you're likeliest to find the right sort of hub (a) at the back of numerous cupboards in thousands of companies and unis up and down the land; (b) on eBay for maybe a fiver.

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba