CAT5 into loft

Page 2 of 3

office window!!!!! See - thats what getting a second opinion does, what a pleb...
So I can basically run a black CAT5 cable WITH the sky cable , and put it through the outside wall - straight into the office itself!!!, then have the Access point IN the office itelf.. Admittedly, I could plug the PC staight into the router with this cable, as the laptop doesn't have a problem with the wireless signal downstairs, so not need a second access point at all...!! But if I run 2 CAT5 cables, I have double RJ45 socket boxes, so could run 2 cables at the same time...
Thanks all - more to think about!! You can guarantee that the hole in the wall for the Sky cable won't be big enough for 2 Cat5 cables!!
CandT
CandT wrote:

Unless you've got (or can borrow) a crimping tool to add your own RJ45 plugs you'll need a made up cable. I needed a 16mm hole to get it through, and even then the Belkin cables have "snagless" plugs which have "wings" either side to stop the release catch, err, snagging on things. I had to fold them over and hold them down with insulating tape to get them through the hole.

standard patch cables for wiring from the socket to the router - so I only need to get the cable through the wall..
CandT
CandT wrote:

Ah, now where did you get those from?

socketted RJ45's and a bunch of patch cables... Never needed it though as I went Wifi in the end... It's a disposable tool, but it should do the job...
CandT
CandT wrote:

If you did want to put the AP in the loft, then the simple way to do it without needing to worry about power sockets etc. is using a couple of power over ethernet (POE) adaptors. These plug into your cat5 at both ends and carry the power for the AP over the cat5. At one end you connect the PSU for the AP, at the other end you have a similar adaptor that breaks out the power again.
(They work by using the two spare pairs in a normal cat5 that are not used for data. If you were prepared to make up a custom cat5 cable then you could make your own for next to nothing)
Lots of the usual culprits make them, see here for an example:-
http://www.solwise.co.uk/networking_sundries.htm#POE
--
Cheers,

John.

There was an article in recent Personal Computer World magazine about just this exercise.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Don't follow the PCW exercise thats a bodge if I ever saw one! There is no standard set for POE just yet and whilst it *may* work on some APs - lots of the other cheaper ones will get frazzled........

Quigs wrote:

You can build your own easily enough - and then you can guarantee it will work with all APs
--
Cheers,

John.

Never mind.

route, I managed to route all the TV, computer and phone cables through our house without having one on show or having to decorate anywhere. It all depends on your house layout.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:42:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

I get the impression you're not a big fan of people doing things themselves, I've enough confidence in my ability to wire up a socket in the loft without burning the house down I think, but I was just confirming that I wasn't doing anything illegal or stupid. The group is call uk.d-i-y after all ;-)
As for this thread, an external CAT5 will be the route I'll take, which negates the need for that AP in the loft, leaving the lighting the only thing I need - which should be fine running off the ceiling rose, through a 3A fused switch...
Cheers for your help though... sniff - whats that burning smell ;-)
CandT
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:58:43 GMT, CandT

cable from a ceiling rose to a switch in the loft then onto the lights, no sockets or fuses in sight. And I'm not against diy, I'm against people doing things wrong, be they so called profesionals or diyer's
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

I'm exactly the same with computer users who don't know what they are doing either, not having a go at you mate... We've just had a bunch of users in one of our offices get infected with Doom because they didn't want to reboot their PC's to get the latest virus update, because they like the windows where they are... ffs
Only just found this group, and already learned something though - so won't be making the loft mistake again ;-)
Cheers,
CandT

upgraded their circa 1985 serial network affair to a multisite logon into a terminal server at the HO. Only trouble is no-one wants to do what we tell them. The most annoying problem we have is the person who keeps unplugging the ADSL link at the HO to plug their laptop modem in thus dropping all remote sessions on the server. For weeks they've been denying they do this so we've been scratching our heads a bit! But last week I saw them unplug it!! Can't see the owner of the firm being too happy when we send in the invoice for numerous callouts, phone calls, and having BT and the ISP people involved as well.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

LOL - we had almost the same issue with an ISDN line at a bank - our systems were failing to dialup to a bank, and we'd call IT there, and they'd fix it - , be fine for a while, then it would happen again a day later. We found out subsequently that they only had 1 free ISDN line, so would swap it between 2 service providers until they got a support call from us or them, and then swap it back... went on for weeks like that!
CandT
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:39:31 GMT, CandT

Oh yes, the first fault they had at this office was before the terminal server was installed I had set them up on the new machines purely for file and print sharing as some of them had this already, (I say some, 4 out of 23), the morning after I had set this up I walk into the office to cries of "I can't print" and "I can't log into sage" and such comments. Upon investigation some-one had turned off the power to the server that was running the DHCP services, the hub and all other computer related equipment in the entire building on their way out in the evening, just as they had done every night for the past 15-20 years apparently!! I could go on, but basically they are clueless when it comes to computers, it's quite a trauma when I hear I have to go up to their office for some reason or another. There's something every other day!!
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
CandT wrote on Thursday (29/01/2004) :

The TV cable will probably have been laid on the wall then channel nailed over the top, so unlikely to pull out.
Prior to CAT5 and RJ45 they used a 50 Ohm coax system for 10Mb LAN's. You might be able to pick up a couple of cheap routers which support both systems, then use the TV coax to link them. Although the TV cable is not really suitable, there would be no problems doing this over such a short distance.
Another way would be to drop a CAT5 down in the cavity wall, assuming you have no insulation in there and there are no windows blocking the intended path. It will not be easy fishing it through though, without taking a brick out at the ground floor.
Try the following, before removing a brick... Start by drilling a hole then feeding something steel through on the end of a long peiece of string. then try fishing for it with a magnet on the the end of another long piece of string..... You might just be lucky.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[snip]
I thought insulation in the cavity has been mandatory for some time now, so a "nearly new" house would almost certainly have it.
CandT wrote:

It will probably be of no use to you but if you have an internal boxed-in soil stack and you can get from the lounge to the soil stack, you may be able to use this as a route to the loft. I've certainly been able to drop a weighted string down alongside my soil stack for a similar purpose.
Tim
--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.
Please support rheumatoid arthritis research!

Have you considered replacing/ extending the aerial supplied with the Wireless Router? Some ideas here http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-indoorantenna.htm
Regards