CAT5 into loft

Page 1 of 3
Moved into my nearly new Redrow house last year, and even though I have Wifi access all over the house, the reception in the 'office' (rear bedroom), is not as good as I'd like, so what I would like to do is to put the access point in the loft for the upstairs, as the router (in the lounge by the phone socket), has a wireless capability, so I can use that when I'm downstairs, and the loft AP for upstairs to give me great coverage...
So basically, the access point need a CAT5 connection to the router (Lounge-->Loft). Getting the cable there is another matter though... These are my conclusions so far...
A) Go out of the Sky cable hole in the wall, and pin to the outside of the house and into the loft. I don't really want a cable externally as I don't have a big ladder, and the light grey CAT5 is ugly !!
B) I thought about pulling the cable up into the loft with the TV coax which is presented behind the TV, and after joining the coax, the cat5 and a piece of sting to pull the coax back down, I got into the loft only to find that I couldn't budge the coax from that end, it really feels like it is caught quite close to the top, but I can't get close enough access to see what the problem is...
C) There's no option to run the cable through the house, up walls, through ceiling, etc as my wife would kill me for butchering our luvly new place!!
So there we go - any other non-destructive ideas?
Cheers all,
CndT
CandT wrote:

And won't last more than a couple of years outside.

Either live with having a cable running along an internal wall (who'd notice it, really?), or chase in the cable (get your chisle out and make a channel in the wall for it to run up).
--
Grunff

Blimey - that was quick..
My wife would notice it !! And chasing it isn't an option, as it would require decorating at lease 2 rooms, and going through 2 ceilings!!
Back to the drawing board I suppose...
I don't suppose theres a RJ45--->Coax type system - as I don't actually use the coax cable at all, it's not even connected in the loft!!! That would be ideal..
Cheers,
CandT
CandT wrote:

Depending on the coax, you could run 10baseT down it - but that's a 10Mbit maximum.
--
Grunff

use the

ideal..
Isn't telly cable 75 ohm and 10baseT 50 ohm ?
Andrew Mawson
Andrew Mawson wrote:

It is - I don't know what the losses would be over such a short distance, or whether you'd get anything at all. I'm sure someone who knows more about propagation theory will fill me in...
--
Grunff

On 29/01/2004 Grunff a wrote :

It would work fine over such a short distance. I have used much longer lengths of 75 ohm in my LAN rather than run a proper cable, when there was 75 ohm already in place.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

It is, but if one were to put 50 ohm terminators on the ends, for a short distance like this it would not be a problem.
A couple of old 4 port hubs with an additional BNC 10base2 connector would handle this problem, albeit in a rather OTT way.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And not forgetting half-duplex. It does make a considerable difference having full duplex when shifting large files across the network. I've got 100BaseT here and if shifting 100's of megs of files across the network full duplex really can be useful.
I'd hate to go back to 10Base2. Okay for the occasional light traffic but a real killer for anything substantial.
PoP

Sure, but this was for a wireless access point - I suppose 802.11b - and it would match that OK.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
CandT wrote:

Actually, there is. 10base 2. OK its suppose to run on 50 ohm not 75 ohm, but with a switch at each end I would say that you could use it. Get an old hub and etherbnet card ;)
Have a look at Black Box or Betterbox. You may find they have bits to utilise 75 ohm co-ax as an ethernet bridge.

Oh, they do: at least in the case of BlackBox, they'll charge you maybe 80 quid for a "media convertor" to go between 10base2 and 10baseT. You'll need two of them, one at each end of the coax.
And peope buy these things (though not when spending their own money ;-).
When they're spending their own money, they buy 8-port hobs with a 10base2 'uplink' port; they used to be about 25 quid apiece at The Usual Places (dabs, microwarehouse, etc.), so you got a Meedja Convertor and 7 extra 10baseT ports for a quarter or so of the price of the single-function Black Box oojit. Now that 10baseT is becoming 'old tech' and 10base2 has been for 5 years or more, you're likeliest to find the right sort of hub (a) at the back of numerous cupboards in thousands of companies and unis up and down the land; (b) on eBay for maybe a fiver.
HTH - Stefek
snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

If you have - as many companies do, a couple of miles of structured COAX in your walls - the cost of ripping out and upgrading just ONE run comforatbly exceeds 160 quid which will get you a half trained gibbon for a day.

Indeed. I thought I made that clear, however not strictly for long runs of inferior 75ohm cable. They would almost certainly work tho, as the cable is not part of an overall net - just working as a point to point link.

All I was getting at was that the single function of converting the same encoding (Ethernet) between the signalling used on twisted pair (10BaseT) and coax (10Base2) is done by two very differently-priced bits of gear: the BlackBox etc. "Media Convertor", price 80notes-a-pop, and the "hub with coax-uplink port", price 0-25quid a pop, even though the cheaper one performs the added function of giving you 7 extra 10BaseT ports as well. For the d-i-y/junk-cupboard world, tracking down a couple of no-longer-in-active-service hubs is a clear Win over ordering a couple of Meeja Convertas from our full-service friends at BlackBox. And I doubt - but am happy to be corrected - that the MeejaConvertas will be any happier working into inappropriate-impedance (75ohm) coax than the hubs.
HTH - Stefek
CandT wrote

Indeed. You'd need exterior grade UV stable stuff or Armoured.

I couldn't chase either as my plaster is too thin. I ran a 2cm square conduit up one corner of the room and painted it to match the wall. Works fine. Infact i'm posting through it now ;-)
Cheers,
Paul.

Cable duct placed wall/ceiling in a corner, subsequently painted the same colour as the room walls, is a reasonable alternative, and more amenable to subsequent rewiring/additional wiring.
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
Julian Fowler wrote:

I guess if you like ducts - I'd rather see a bare cable than a PVC duct anyday!
--
Grunff

Once painted, a corner-fitted duct effectively disappears into the decor ... we have this in 3 corners of our sitting room (two carrying speaker cables, one carrying phone/network) -- barely noticable unless you know they're there.
Since the OP was concerned about the opinion of his SWMBO, a discreet, disguised duct is probably more acceptable than bare cable!
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
Grunff wrote:

I would expect UV to be the biggest problem there so it should be alright if it is on a north-facing wall (as mine is).

CandT wrote:

What colour is the Sky cable? Black? If so, why not use black CAT5. 15m should be long enough and Dabs have 4 in stock, 11.75 inc. VAT http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=YM4
I've run a CAT5 round the outside of the house from the office at the back to the front lounge - it's *pink* 'coz that's the only colour I could get a 30m one in at the time. Fortunately it's not visible from the front of the house :-)