Cat5 IDC punchdown tool

I've just bought one of these

order to terminate the cat5 cable I've been liberally festooning around my house.

However, it doesn't seem to work with the terminals in the back of the patch panel I have. It's great for the IDC terminals in a BT junction box I have, but that's a fat lot of use to me. Can anyone tell me which tool I need and where I can get it?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Well I have the same tool and it works with the patch panels I use. What type of patch panel?

Reply to
Hiram Hackenbacker

It's the right tool for most terminals. What patch panel do you have?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

tool it's likely terminations are the American style of IDC connector which is why it don't work.

Sod's law states if there are 2 choices you will make the wrong one.

Reply to
Rasman99

What you've bought is a "Krone" type punchdown tool which does most, however your patch panel may need a "110" punchdown tool, similar to the krone type, but different enough to require the other tool.

Reply to
Gripfill John

Many thanks for the replies. I bought the patch panel from ebay. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I wouldn't be able to describe the terminals even if I did. It does sound like I need the "other type" of tool though. I thought £7.50 for a 48-way panel was a bargain, I'm going to end up spending twice as much on tools!

I work off Tottenham Court Rd, anyone know of any shop knowledgable enough about these things around here to be able to sell me the right thing? Tandy would know surely.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Did it not occur to you Hiram that the man might have a 110 tyope patch?? Think dear boy, think

Alastair

Reply to
ardl02029_3

Which is why I asked him which type of patch panel he was using. Read dear thing, read.

Reply to
Hiram Hackenbacker
Reply to
Hiram Hackenbacker

Yeah, well what would you know. Everything you built just used huge toggle switches, a boom microphone and one enormous flashing light labelled "Emergency" 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley