Cat5 IDC punchdown tool

I've just bought one of these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 536&id402 in order to terminate the cat5 cable I've been liberally festooning around my house.
However, it doesn't seem to work with the terminals in the back of the patch panel I have. It's great for the IDC terminals in a BT junction box I have, but that's a fat lot of use to me. Can anyone tell me which tool I need and where I can get it?
Martin
On 9 Oct 2003 10:14:49 -0700, martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Martin Pentreath) wrote:

Well I have the same tool and it works with the patch panels I use. What type of patch panel?
--
Hiram Hackenbacker

(Martin

is why it don't work.
Sod's law states if there are 2 choices you will make the wrong one.

(Martin

Did it not occur to you Hiram that the man might have a 110 tyope patch?? Think dear boy, think
Alastair
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:00:32 +0100, "ardl02029_3"

Which is why I asked him which type of patch panel he was using. Read dear thing, read.
--
Hiram Hackenbacker

    martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Martin Pentreath) writes:

It's the right tool for most terminals. What patch panel do you have?
--
Andrew Gabriel

What you've bought is a "Krone" type punchdown tool which does most, however your patch panel may need a "110" punchdown tool, similar to the krone type, but different enough to require the other tool.
--
Gripfill John

Many thanks for the replies. I bought the patch panel from ebay. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I wouldn't be able to describe the terminals even if I did. It does sound like I need the "other type" of tool though. I thought 7.50 for a 48-way panel was a bargain, I'm going to end up spending twice as much on tools!
I work off Tottenham Court Rd, anyone know of any shop knowledgable enough about these things around here to be able to sell me the right thing? Tandy would know surely.
Martin

Sounds like you have 110 IDCs on your panel; they are fairly common. A good 110 tool will cost a fair bit more than a Krone tool; around 25
http://www.online-computer-shop.co.uk/mills-punchdown-tool-110-c70-4274.php For a good quality 110 tool....
HTH
Rory

Tandy????? If you want batteries for a toy talking rabbit I would say yes. For a 110 tool no fat chance.
7.50 for a 48 way panel And you only need 5 ways lol
And Hiram might do well to read the question before he answers. Mis information all round again I see
Alastair
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:59:28 +0100, "ardl02029_3"

Asking the poster which type of patch panel he uses is hardly mis-information.
--
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:12:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sky.com (Hiram Hackenbacker) wrote:

Yeah, well what would you know. Everything you built just used huge toggle switches, a boom microphone and one enormous flashing light labelled "Emergency" 8-)