Cat proofing a stereo

well they you end up with mice and rats isn;lt that how the plague started when peole got rid of the cats. Although hopefully iof we did get rid of cats we;d find better methods of controling mice/rats.

What we donlt need to spend money on saving is giant panada they do nothing other than look cute I don't even think they taste nice ;-)

well there might be a reason for chosing such a dog as a guard dog.

So close crufts , as those dogs would have no use at all.

Remember at least cats get rid of mice.

Ah well I prefer something I don;t need to take out with me. Not all pubs clibs cinimas, museumes, theartres, stadiums even holiday resort will take a dog.

I'm going to see a mates band at the O2 next moth I don't think they allow dogs in, I can leave my cat alone at home without any problems.

Almsot any hobby can do that. Ypou want to run in the london marathion with a dog can you ?

Cats donlt find that sort of thing fun.

Well that's true but dogs are far more dependent on their owners, cats are happy to be left alone for most of the day dogs aren't like that. With a lot of dogs you have to take them out, unlike cats.

There's been plenty of cases of cats loking after farms from that POV. They are cheaper and more efective than a lot of other methods including poisons.

And if I had an iphone I'd have a locator in that too. :-)

I dont have a car to pollute oher peoples air, making me superior (morally anyway) ;-P What kills more people cats or cars :D

Transparent things can kill.

or taking the kids to school, not sure where you live but in London it's amazing how quiet the roads can be on school holidays.

So kids are more trouble than cats.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In Denmark (or somewhere over there) schoolkids are taken to meat processing plants where they see the animal being killed and converted into meal-sized lumps.

I saw this on TV recently, might have been C4 'Food Unwrapped'.

Reply to
Andrew

Works for me with thunderbird. Isn't UK.DIY a text-only group ?.

Reply to
Andrew

yes, but some people still set fonts to be non-prop

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Really?

I don't know Dave, it was a bit before my time. ;-) Joking aside, I don't think there is an 'natural' / animal based way of clearing up any major influx of vermin but if there was, I suggest a 'ratter' dog (Jack Russell, Border Terrier) be far more efficient as disposing of quantities of rats than any cat.

Quite.

;-)

Well yes, but not if it's regularly going to be with the general public.

Crufts show / support all sorts of dogs that aren't prone to any issues, like most of the working, sporting or utility dogs for example.

I think I'd rather have the mice mate. ;-)

You don't have to but with a dog it's more of a normal / accepted choice. Like, how many people do you see walking their cats on the street or at the park (compared with dogs especially).

You are right, but FWIW, I suspect they wouldn't accept cats either, well, unless you can get 'Seeing cats' for the visually impaired etc. ;-)

Yes, like you could if it was a pet rat, rabbit or goldfish.

But we are talking pets, not 'hobbies'. ;-)

Not sure, interesting question though (if not a helper dog etc).

I know ... but for most people a good all rounder 'companion' (rather than just a possession) would. But you don't need me to remind you that 'Mans best friend is a dog' and for good reason. ;-)

I supposed that depends on what we are taking about here. Most 'proper' dogs could survive in the wild and many do.

Yes, like a goldfish ...

Yes, most *prefer* the company / contact with humans (or other dogs / animals at least) but can and do live 'ok' when more isolated.

Yes, and that's very much part of having a dog in the first place for many, the *fact* that they do and want to take them out on nice long walks in the country. OTOH, many dogs manage just with access to a back garden and some rarely go outside at all (like these toy / 'handbag' dogs).

Yes, I'm sure there have been, it's just that a ratter dog would be more efficient at it than any cat.

Probably, until the numbers become overwhelming. It stands to reason something bigger and more powerful (say a terrier) could manage more rats / day than a cat (check the videos on Youtube of the gory act in action).

;-)

Well done. However (and I don't want to rain on your parade) I'm guessing you consume stuff that has been delivered by vehicles ... ?

Erm ... including those drivers who die whilst swerving to avoid cats ... It could be close.

More so than things we can see in many cases.

Nth London mate and yes, you are right. However ... many of those who drive their kids to school may carry on and drive themselves to work.

Ermmm ... no, would still say the inconvenience of cleaning cat cr*p off my shoes and out of my garden has been more trouble to me than kids over the years (and I have had kids and never had a cat)!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They also take school kids aound the brothels of amsterdame don't they.

There was also a southpark episode where tehy took school kids to see how burgers were processed and veal but not sure if it's true or not.

Reply to
whisky-dave

yes really.

when my dad had an aviary in the back garden it got mice we had up to 6 cat s in teh garden coming from local houses I assume to catch them.

4 of those cats rarely returned home and my parents ended up with 4 cats. Soemtimes they'd catch a dozen or so mice in a day.

But you can't let those dogs loose and roam free that's the advantage of ca ts they don't need humans to sort them out.

But a lot of those have been bred for that specific purpose a 2 friends hav e miniature dachshunds, he has to out cushoins on teh floor near the sofa b ecause if they jump off a sofa onto the floor they can break their tiny lit tle legs as they have been bred to hunt and chase badgers down holes. WTF happened here.

Very few probbly because you should take cats for walks there's only a coup le of breeds you can do that with. But I bet my ordinary cat can walk furth er than my fiends miniature dachshunds as they can only walk short distance s have have to be carried. He can;t come and visit me without brining the dog or gettign a dog sitter.

resort will take a dog.

One of my cat's went to a nightclub once. My cats at home now alone she'll be sleeping somewhere and quite content. Dogs get stressed when their owners leave them, can get very stressed.

ow dogs in, I can leave my cat alone at home without any problems.

even an elephant can be left alone but dogs seem to need humans and if they don;t then they aren't usually the sort of dogs you'd want as pets any mor e than a feral cat.

Which ones the 'pet' if you have to take it for walks.

Thre was one that did, it just tagged along it was a stray doing following

10km run. Think it ended up going to sweden.

Never understood that reasoning

Well mans best friend is a bottle opener.

I'd rather be a member of my cats staff, than have to say my dogs my best f riend. :-0

Like wolves and feral cats but the versions we have as pets are quite diffe rnt.

well those toy dogs are for people that totatly want to dominate a pet or w ant an aniumated toy that doesn;t take batteries like paris hilton, they are almost a baby replacement.

I don;t think that is true otherwise they'd have them rather than cats wouy ldn;t they. Why would a farm have 20 cats when 1 dog would do, well it coul d eb doen to what else the dogs would do on the farm likke worrying the she ep, you'd have the same problem if you employed wodney. ;-)

but you have to have soemone watching the dog. If your; out milking the cows you can't normally allow a dog to roam the f arm cats are OK.

ly anyway) ;-P

As I would do if I had a car or any vehicle.

I took my cat the the vet oin wednesday and used the bus. Now that bus wasn 't put on for me, it didn't need to park up anywhere. About to have residentail parking soon.

amazing how quiet the roads can be on school holidays.

They must get to work pretty late then.

But kids grow up to be students :-

Reply to
whisky-dave

Not many.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What makes you think proportional fonts are not text only?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

The word hidden reveals it all. It's not common, nobody knows or cares about it as it's rare. Move along, nothing to see here.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Get a life. Stop worrying about little things that don't matter. I have to walk around a dog shit on the pavement sometimes. Do I go hunt down the owner? No, I don't care.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Nothing would happen. I'd like to see them stop me keeping cats. I'd deliberately breed them like rabbits and set them loose close to the houses of the MPs that voted for the ban.

I don't see the point in those. I have no objection to my neighbour's cats coming round to play with mine. Sometimes my food gets eaten by them, sometimes mine eat their food, swings and roundabouts.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Agreed. Why do people get all upset about a species which is clearly useless at surviving?

Ha! No dog has ever got the better of me. We can use tools.

And they don't yap endlessly.

Agreed, a cat looks after itself. A dog is too needy.

I think the idea is it forces people to exercise, otherwise they only bother now and again.

You can amuse them with silly things, but not for long before they get tired of it. A dog will play fetch indefinitely.

Can you watch where your cat is and track where it goes?

Cars don't kill people, incapable people kill people.

Treehugger!

That's because of health and softy nonsense. Parents think it's not safe for their kids to walk to school.

We ought to stop the child benefits and free education. If you want to have a child YOU pay for its education, etc.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Every so often there's a diagram or something that only works in a fixed pitch font.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, it's worth swapping over to look at a diagram. But not just to see where someone put arrows.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Soemtimes it can distress the cat to, soem cats can be violent towards others. One of the worst is where your cat feels the need to spray in it's own house in order to warn off other cats. You do know cats are territorial and this can cause serious fights.

Maybe yuo ahve a female cat you like breeding with and don lt want any tom or dick getting your pussy.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Mr Macaw

Yes most cats do that most of the time too.

me niether but in my house there are certain standards they have to manintain and that's not fighting with strays or with the foxes in my house. If they want to have a fight they can take it outside.

whisky-dave

You claim in the video text that it's to stop them "stealing" your cat's food. Isn't that a bit mean of you? I just stick food out and whoever gets it eats it.

You have a LOT of cats. I have TWO cats that come here that aren't mine, you must have a lot of neighbours who don't feed their cats enough.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I did that provided my cat no longer wanted the food then I put it further up teh garden rther than close to the flap.

I have 1 cats. I've only ever had 1 cat at a time.

I live in an area where they are a lot of flats which are rented and a lot of landlords don't allow dogs some allow smaller pets.

Reply to
whisky-dave