cat flap in DG door

Yeah, I know. Sorry to drag this up again but, assuming one opts to replace the lower half of a glazed door with a plastic panel, what is the product you're looking for? I assume it has some sort of foam interior and is the same thickness as the glazed unit? My local plastics supplier suggests 2 sheets of 6mm foam board and wood to fill the voids, but I'm really looking for an off-the-shelf solution that I can cut to size. Any thoughts anyone? TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:15:39 +0100, "stuart noble" same thickness as the glazed unit? My local plastics supplier suggests 2

Lateral suggestion.

Could you put the cat flap in a wall? You can get plastic liner components from the flap manufacturers to facilitate a clean tunnel. I did this in the conservatory and it works well...

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

normally 24mm foamcore or even 28mm is used for this purpose though the later is less usual.,if you can find some company that will cut it to size for you expect to pay £20.00 for 600 x 600 mm

Reply to
Alex

In article , Alex writes

This isn't very secure though, our neighbour had a break-in with a panel like this. They just pushed it through the frame.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Could you use multiwall polycarbonate (conservatory roof panels)? (Just an idea - I've never worked with it myself.)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Foamcore eh? Thanks. I'll take a look.

Reply to
stuart noble

If it's only the beads holding it in, I guess you could push a glazed panel through the frame too.

Reply to
stuart noble

Thought about that, but there just isn't any wall space left in this particular kitchen, and the idea is to confine the cat (and things he might bring home) to that one room.

Reply to
stuart noble

Why don't you get a new DG unit made up with a hole in, we replaced a full length window (approx 1.7m x 0.5m )from a DG unit, the local glaser came out measured up, gave him the cat flap to take with him, one week later came back with new toughned sealed unit and fitted new unit with cat flap in, total cost incl VAT was around £90 (something like £60 to fabricate and £30 fitting).

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:20:17 +0100, "stuart noble" particular kitchen, and the idea is to confine the cat (and things he might

I completely understand.........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Beware of the circular cat-flaps especially 'designed' for DG use. I had one in a foam panel and it was useless. Replaced it with a decent square one.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Do you know of a cat flap that is quiet when it is windy, or indeed one that is quiet when the cat comes in at 3 in the morning? That would be a decent cat flap.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth
.

We have a type which has a flexible magnet around the door and frame, effectively holding it in place. It doesn't move or rattle when it's windy.

There's also a four position cam which controls door operation from opening both ways, one way only, the other way only or not at all. So you can control which way the cats are allowed to go and when.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes! The most important thing is to avoind StayWell catflaps at all cost. Evil, hateful things they are.

We've been using CatMate flaps for a while, and I can definitely recommend them. They aren't perfect, but they are the best we've tried so far.

Reply to
Grunff

What make, and will it work when Emley Moor is in direct line of sight of the flap? It can get very windy.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And it is a StayWell. It did not StayWell when I set the cam to stop the cat leaving the house when it had to go to the vets for his jabs. There was an almighty bang and he had destroyed the flap. Replaced it with an identical model.

Thanks for the link, time for an upgrade.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm not at home so I can't look. It was bought in France IIRC.

If Emley Moor is in direct sight then if you're lucky it might display BBC2. However, be careful that it doesn't ice up in winter and fall apart.......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not to give my age away, but the lack of TV must have left my parents with little else to do for 4 days in 1969.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So you have a December/January birthday? .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , stuart noble

The beads didn't move, the panel just flexed and popped out.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell