cat flap in a wall

Not really, ours trained himself to do doorhandles. Rats can be trained to press a button for food, cats are way more intelligent.

The doorbell doesn't stop the game, just provides another way of the cat attracting your attention.

Okay, but they understand bribery :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The OP doesn't say whether it's a single panel door. If it has two, it's easy enough to replace the bottom one with pvc and put the flap in that

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes - they won't go through a cat flap sized tunnel. They will go through one which is a bit bigger so they can stand as they come through - so about 3-4 bricks high.

The cavity wall is designed to be wet - but why not put the cat door on the outside?

It's actually easier than modifying the door and simpler to remove if you ever need to.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Our cat tunnel had a flap on the outside to keep the weather out (kept shut by little magnets to stop draughts, and a lockable flap on the inside. No problems with rain, since the outer door kep all weather out (except in real storms when there were a few drips, but nothing to worry about.) Does mean the cost of two cat-flaps... The tunnel was lined with hardboard, needed cleaning (muddy paws) every few months. The cats needed a bit of persuasion to go though at first - holding the other door open made it less scary for them. After a couple of weeks they were happily using it. hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

A collegue, when having an extension built, included a catflap tunnel through the wall. The opening was complete with a 12" concrete sill and lintel. The BCO thought it was very funny.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Neil writes

I put a bit of carpet on the floor of mine

good for cleaning the paws and easy to clean by banging against the wall every so often

Reply to
geoff

Take the easy option and change the double glazed panel in the door for one with glass and a UPVC panel. Then ask the window company to cut the panel for a cat flap. Job done. Should cost more than about

50-100 for a panel for a door+ fitting.
Reply to
david.cawkwell

Thank, that's what I would have donw but the door is wood frames and the sealed unit is the full door. I would consider having the full pane replaced but I can't figure out how to get it out, it looks like the door was made with the glass in - it's really weird!

Reply to
Angela