Cast Iron Waste

I am about to fit a new close coupled WC and cistern and could use some help. Problem is that the old wc had a flush pipe in to the pan and because the one I am replacing it with is close-coupled I will need to cut the old cast pipe back quite a bit. What is the easiest way to do this? Should I just attack it with a hacksaw or is there an easier way. Also the cast pipe has a large flange on the end, does it matter that this will be gone when I come to fit the new wc? Sorry if this is obvious to you guys but a bit scared to cut the b____r off and then find I need the flange. Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Mitch

Generally you connect the pan to the pipe with a Multikwik type connector which pushes into the cut end of the soil pipe - no collar needed. B&Q Warehouses and plumbers merchants have a variety of these which will accommodate almost any situation. See

iron is brittle but generally fairly soft so will cut with a hacksaw (suggest new blade if in doubt) without too much problem, though an angle grinder and metal cutting disk is easier.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If you use an angle grinder get a GOOD mask, mine was a cheapy and ended up producing something that I can only imagine originated from the crap that was found in the pipe!!!

Reply to
Oliver

Othersd have told you how to connect.

I will tell you what I did to cut - admittedly a plastic - pipe slightly BELOW floor level...

It involved a an angle grinder disk, and a bolt and an old backing disk from a disk sander, mounted on the front of a standard electric drill.

This allows you to cut from INSIDE the pipe, but beware, it needs a very steady pair of hands. And cast iron will probably throw out sparks and bits of molten metal, so gloves and glasses are a must.

I do not recommend this unless you have to, but it does work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher