Cast iron bath(s)

Page 1 of 3
I'm just removing the one in our main bathroom (well, OK, I'm getting my breath back & cooling down after carrying 1/3 of it downstairs).
I thought cast iron was fragile? A 2lb club hammer is having no effect and I'm having to cut through the edges with an angle grinder.
BTW, how do you tell the difference between stone cutting & metal cutting discs once the labels have come off?

If the stairs are wide enough, remove the taps and invert the bath, tie a rope to it and slide it down. The reverse got mine upstairs. ;-) Then some cut up broom handles to roll it the rest of the way.

Think you'd need a sledge hammer.

Looking at new ones, I can't.
--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

My stairway has 2 x 90 degree bends in it. It won't fit.

Fortunately, it's replacement is acrylic.

'it it 'arder, my son.
The bits are in the garage.

No, me neither.

Odd, our stairway is similar yet my wife and I managed to carry a cast iron bath up them and later down them without problems.
Acrylic eh? Yuk.
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) writes:

Did you let her take off her chadour?

What, over the top of the mining helmet?
Huge wrote:

Was the house built around the bath? Or did it come in kit form for assembly in situ???
Just curious
;-) Richard

My wife & I discussed this & came to the conclusion that 4 or 5 very large blokes with no necks carried it up.

It could have been carried up when the house was built, and before the stair ballustrades etc were installed.
Alternatively a helicopter might have doe the trick before the roof was put on.
Tsk, beginners ;)
PoP
Dave Plowman <> wrote:

The stone ones disappear rapidly on metal :-)
Dont ask me how I know ...
P.

I can assure you that a 7lb sledge hammer is no more effective. Mind you, I'd bet that if you were trying to move one in, it would shatter if you lowered it gently onto a thick foam mattress.
Colin Bignell

There must be a vintage when they were still popular but the thickness had been reduced to save money, maybe those break with a few well aimed blows. 1904 examples seem bloody thick. Felt like a demented Quasimodo, all I needed to do was hit it just a bit harder. I regained focus after the blood-head-rush had subsided.
A 4lb club made no difference to mine, it had to be broken, there was no way to get it round the corner otherwise. Used the angle grinder to make cuts in the edges then when the blade started wearing away rather quickly, changed to a dotted line.

diamond disks for stone.
--
Toby.

This was put in in the early 70's. Mmmmm, cranberry. Nice juice, shame about the bathroom suite.

Only works for new ones, not the scabby cardboard box full of assorted ones I have.

*grin*
Oh, indubitably.
nightjar

Anyone tried a pickaxe?
--
Chris
-----

Too late. It's all in the orchard.
Well, I've torn out the vile bathroom. The plasterer is coming next week and the new suite and shower are coming in the next few days. I have 2 weeks vacation time to fit it all, starting the 9th Feb.
Sod me, but I'm buggered.
It would appear that I am no longer 18.
:o(
On 1 Feb 2004 17:40:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Shock to the system isn't it? :-)
Go pour yourself a well-earned beer......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
[19 lines snipped]

Isn't it just.

My splendid wife just brought me a Bellini.
(Champagne & peach schnapps.)
(Well, OK, Cava & Archers, but it's nice nonetheless.)
ZZZZzzzzzzzz.....
[NO CARRIER]
Huge snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk typed:

Ahh but when I was 18 and took a cast iron bath out, I turned it upside down and just slid it down the stairs.
Unfortunately it went straight through the dodgy hallway floorboards and into the cellar below. Older and wiser does have some compensation. :-)

ROFLMAO! ;)

No, it brings mirth so much easier when you hear about stories like this!
PoP