Cast iron bath(s)

I'm just removing the one in our main bathroom (well, OK, I'm getting my breath back & cooling down after carrying 1/3 of it downstairs).

I thought cast iron was fragile? A 2lb club hammer is having no effect and I'm having to cut through the edges with an angle grinder.

BTW, how do you tell the difference between stone cutting & metal cutting discs once the labels have come off?

Reply to
Huge

If the stairs are wide enough, remove the taps and invert the bath, tie a rope to it and slide it down. The reverse got mine upstairs. ;-) Then some cut up broom handles to roll it the rest of the way.

Think you'd need a sledge hammer.

Looking at new ones, I can't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I can assure you that a 7lb sledge hammer is no more effective. Mind you, I'd bet that if you were trying to move one in, it would shatter if you lowered it gently onto a thick foam mattress.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

There must be a vintage when they were still popular but the thickness had been reduced to save money, maybe those break with a few well aimed blows.

1904 examples seem bloody thick. Felt like a demented Quasimodo, all I needed to do was hit it just a bit harder. I regained focus after the blood-head-rush had subsided.

A 4lb club made no difference to mine, it had to be broken, there was no way to get it round the corner otherwise. Used the angle grinder to make cuts in the edges then when the blade started wearing away rather quickly, changed to a dotted line.

Permanent marker near the centre. Alt: Two angle grinders? Or just stick to diamond disks for stone.

Reply to
Toby

My stairway has 2 x 90 degree bends in it. It won't fit.

Fortunately, it's replacement is acrylic.

'it it 'arder, my son.

The bits are in the garage.

No, me neither.

Reply to
Huge

*grin*

Oh, indubitably.

Reply to
Huge

This was put in in the early 70's. Mmmmm, cranberry. Nice juice, shame about the bathroom suite.

Only works for new ones, not the scabby cardboard box full of assorted ones I have.

Reply to
Huge

Odd, our stairway is similar yet my wife and I managed to carry a cast iron bath up them and later down them without problems.

Acrylic eh? Yuk.

Reply to
Steve Firth

nightjar

Anyone tried a pickaxe?

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Too late. It's all in the orchard.

Well, I've torn out the vile bathroom. The plasterer is coming next week and the new suite and shower are coming in the next few days. I have 2 weeks vacation time to fit it all, starting the 9th Feb.

Sod me, but I'm buggered.

It would appear that I am no longer 18.

:o(

Reply to
Huge

Shock to the system isn't it? :-)

Go pour yourself a well-earned beer......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall
[19 lines snipped]

Isn't it just.

My splendid wife just brought me a Bellini.

(Champagne & peach schnapps.)

(Well, OK, Cava & Archers, but it's nice nonetheless.)

ZZZZzzzzzzzz.....

[NO CARRIER]
Reply to
Huge

Ahh but when I was 18 and took a cast iron bath out, I turned it upside down and just slid it down the stairs.

Unfortunately it went straight through the dodgy hallway floorboards and into the cellar below. Older and wiser does have some compensation. :-)

Reply to
Mark

Did you let her take off her chadour?

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Rick Dipper

ROFLMAO! ;)

No, it brings mirth so much easier when you hear about stories like this!

PoP

PoP

Was the house built around the bath? Or did it come in kit form for assembly in situ???

Just curious

;-) Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

My wife & I discussed this & came to the conclusion that 4 or 5 very large blokes with no necks carried it up.

Reply to
Huge

Interesting turn of phrase.

Just 18 stone ?

On reflection, I think paying a couple of guys to remove one old cast iron bath and matching (lemon yellow...) basin and loo, and fit modern replacements was worth the money. Ignore the cynics, there is nothing wrong with a decent thick acrylic bath, other than a tendency to mark if you drop something heavy and sharp in (what my kids get up to, I don't know). I bought an extra-length one as sitting in a airline-cattle-class position, knees around head, is not my idea of relaxation.

Reply to
John Laird

It could have been carried up when the house was built, and before the stair ballustrades etc were installed.

Alternatively a helicopter might have doe the trick before the roof was put on.

Tsk, beginners ;)

PoP

PoP