Carpet washer recommendation please.

I hope this is on topic as we do the carpet washing ourselves. Our old Bex-Bissell machine has given up the ghost. 30 years old and well used. Can't complain. Used to clean not only our carpets but also those of our two kids and the occasional borrower. So, we are looking for a new machine. Any thoughts or recommendations please? Wife likes the look of Vax. The few reviews I have read tend to disagree. Many thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

I can recommend the Numatic George. Also, have a look at the Truvox Hydromist Lite/Aquarius Provalet.

of these will clean like a full on professional machine but they are fine for domestic use.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Bought a Vax 027PT XL Pro from Vax a few months ago.It was about =A3125. Still on Amazon at =A3155. Used to clean my carpets, and sofa and carpets at my daughters. Quite impressed at the value for money. The carpets came up clean and springy and the sofa which was sort of suede was cleaned well. It seemed to do a good job of drying the carpet. Obviously with such little use the ultimate reliability has not been tested, but the construction didn't give me cause for concern. The water supply and dirty water buckets are easy to remove to fill and clean, but the dirty bucket is a bit awkward to clean. Not terrible but a bit awkward. Bad points are it is a bit heavy, but it has a lot of water on board, so gives you a bit of a work out. Overall very happy with it.

John

Reply to
JohnW

We have a VAX from the same price bracket. Never used it myself but wife is happy and our severely mistreated carpets come up very well. Lent it to someone and it came back dead. Has a sticker on it with a "service number" which didn't work but all credit to VAX, once we found a number that worked they sorted free collection and repair under the 5 year guarantee, and it came back working very quickly. It is worth spending the money on a good shampoo: our local (usually reliable) hardware shop product is not as good as the official stuff, readily available from Amazon.

Reply to
Newshound

Perhaps it depends on the model, but the 6131T gets virtually unanimously favourable reviews on Amazon, and is currently selling for =A390 including delivery - it's more like =A3170 in the likes of John Lewis, Comet, etc.

've just bought one but unfortunately haven't got round to using it yet so cannot offer any personal comment.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Got the same comment from my brother regards the shampoo. Bissell do it with and without Scotchguard. Both clean just as well, but the one without Scotchguard means the carpet is back dirty in a week, as it cleans the bottoms of everyone's shoes. The Scotchguard one has so far stayed clean. Argos sell it (about £25 a bottle).

Also collected a Bissel Proheat carpet cleaner from him and taken it round to parents where I'll be using it, but not tried it yet. It came from Costco (don't know the price). My brother said it's good on ordinary carpets, but wasn't so good on a patterned matting style carpet, where the head doesn't make such a good seal against the carpet surface.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The best chemicals I have used in a carpet cleaning machine are Prochem ones, recommended by The Medway Handyman :)

Reply to
gremlin_95