Carpet underlay - is it worth it?

Yes, underlay makes a big difference. Good underlay makes a bigger difference.

That seems quite a lot. What's the total floor area?

Yes.

I don't know.

Yes.

Reply to
Grunff

I am about to carpet out a one bedroom flat, ready for selling. The carpet I have found is supposed to be suitable for laying without underlay, because it is sold as 'felt-backed' (although I have to say, the said felt is extremely thin). The seller advises me that adding underlay would give the place a 'cosier feel'. The cost of underlay would be about £200.

Would this be money well-spent? Would it significantly add buyer-appeal to the flat? Also: Is carpet laid with underlay and gripper rods easier to remove, temporarily, than carpet stuck down with spray adhesive around the edges? (Say, if I need to get access to the underfloor space?)

Thanks for any opinions.

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

Nice soft carpeting would give a good 'feel' to the place, yes. Much better than a clonky, thin carpet, certainly.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

PS. What surprised me was that he didn't make any effort to sell me underlay. In fact he suggested I just lay the carpet without underlay if I merely want to sell the place... seems unusual for a salesman...

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

Mike D ( snipped-for-privacy@BackinTheUK.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

He knows damn well that the buyers will be round to his for "better" carpet with underlay shortly after moving in...?

Reply to
Adrian

They'd be more likely to go to one of his two main competitors who are more widely advertised...

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

Just under 50 sq mtrs. The underlay is £3.99 a sq mtr. It's the familiar stuff that is made of foam rubber with air pockets.

Mike

Reply to
Mike D

Ok, that's not too bad.

Reply to
Grunff

Definitely worth it, the carpet will also last longer and feel better to walk on. Better than some noisy cold crappy sanded floorboard. Move whatever you hide under the floorboards and it doesn't matter. A professionally fitted carpet is lovely.

Reply to
Pete

Already done that!

I agree - as long as it's done right. ...But I've seen professional jobs that seriously didn't impress me. But it was probably better than I could have done myself! I wish I knew the secret of picking a good fitter (not having any recommendations to go on). ...Then I would one him rather than do it myself. Carpet fitting is one of the only building-related jobs I admit to being hopeless at. ...That and plastering!

Mike

Reply to
Mike D

I'm not convinced. If you were keeping the place, then yes for sure underlay would be a good idea, but just for adding buyer appeal? I really don't think your average buyer will look past the fact that yes there's a carpet there, and it's new, and the colour's OK. Carpet quality is probably almost irrelevant, and likewise underlay.

Bear in mind that the buyer of a one-bedroom property is most likely to be an inexperienced first-time buyer, who is unlikely to appreciate the extra value for money which they'd get for a decent floor covering.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I suppose you could be right. It would depend where the flat was, who was likely to buy it, and how much it was though.

Worrifit's in Kensington, for example?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

How much are you spending on the carpet? =A35.99 sq yard or =A359.99? Yo= u are selling it just needs to look and feel reasonable, a new carpet, designe= d to be used without underlay, will do that IMHO. Following the rules of neutral to bland colours, it needs to be "liveable with" if you go for a= patteren or colour the chnaces are the new owners will rip it straight out...

You are selling don't fit the carpet untill you've finished faffing abou= t under the floors. But gripper is far easier to lift a carpet from the glue.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well for a start the property would be worth so much that an extra 200 quid spent on underlay would be neither here nor there!

David

Reply to
Lobster