Carpet & underlay

Hi guys,

I have a question about lifting and refitting carpet.

We changed our living room carpet a couple of years ago to a nice thick one but made the mistake of not changing the underlay to a higher spec

9mm or 11mm underlay. Now, a couple of years down the line the carpet is looking rather flat and old.

I am now wondering if it would be possible to lift the carpet, replace the underlay and refit the carpet or would it not fit once a the thicker underlay is put down? I am also planning on getting the carpet professionally cleaned to give it the ?like new? appearance.

Your opinions/ advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
hkazee

Some idea of what the carpet is made of and how it is fitted might help.

80 percent wool carpets will last really well but if I were doing the same I would get a proffessional to do it. One drawback with really thick underlay is that furniture legs make really deep indentations that may not recover if the furniture is moved. Lovely and springy and warm though. If you have to buy underlay retail try and find a small supplier that will do a decent deal.
Reply to
Hugh - in either England or Sp

I did just that with a halls and stairs carpets - replaced the collapsed green rubber on a fabric backing stuff with Cloud 9 - and gave it a good shampoo/clean. Made a vast difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

of course

well, it won't be like new but it should be much improved.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A good cleaning will help:

I am now wondering if it would be possible to lift the carpet, replace

The thickness of the underlay won't make the room change size, so it should still fit. You may need a knee kicker to get it back into place on the gripper rods nice and snugly.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, ditch diybanter and get a proper news account - you might see the replies sooner!

John Rumm

Thank you all for your help...it was very helpful and useful.

I was just concerned that with thicker underlay, the carpet wont meet the edges of the room again!

Reply to
hkazee

In message , hkazee writes

You might just have to shave a bit off the bottom of the doors.

Reply to
bert