Carpet replacement: why are they all brown?

Planning to replace all the bedroom carpets. Will probably do the laying myself. However ....

Looking at the online sources of carpets, whether it's the cheap paper-thin tat being sold on eBay (that claims to be £19.99 psm in the shops) or high-cost stuff from online carpet stores or from "proper" retailers with a web storefront - most of their non-patterned offerings appear to only be available in various shades of brown, from light cream through an assortment of made up names through to "chocolate" or somesuch - with maybe a dark red, dark blue or various shades of grey as alternatives.

Did I miss the memo that carpets can, henceforth, only be sold in colours that makes the floor look as if it's a shade of mud?

OK, rant over. I feel better now.

Reply to
root

You try buying a coloured bathroom suite now...

OK advocado was a bit off, but the peach wasn't tacky - IMHO anyway...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nor Ivory really.

John (with Misty Peach and Ivory suites :-)

Reply to
JohnW

Am I the only one who LIKED avocado?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is it workable to buy carpet online? (Assuming you give a monkeys about what you get)

NT

Reply to
NT

Showed the dirt less than Pampas a.k.a. Baby Diarrhoeia.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Some of the online suppliers I've seen will supply samples through the post. Which is rather lucky as if you went by their descriptions you'd be fogiven for thinking you were getting getting 3-inch deep pile from virgin angoras for about 5-10 UKP per metre. What actually turns up is about a quarter of an inch thick, polyester samples that you can see through if you hold up to a light. AND BLOODY BROWN or shades thereof.

If you're just doing up something like student digs and want the maximum square footage for the minimum price, it's probably OK, but to choose to live with, yourself .... nah!

Reply to
root

Paul Herber

Love the name! There's a site for everything these days... I just saw a VAX

8600 CPU module (that's a 18" square board IIRC) on ebay for 80-ish quid. Probably 1/100th of the price DEC would have charged for a new one!
Reply to
Tim Watts

pink bog.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Heh :-) I remember my grandparents had a pink bog, complete with pink shag-pile bog seat cover.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Our first house we bought had a pink bathroom suite (much of the ifttings etc. dated from the late '60's early '70's, the bath in particular was pretty scruffy by then.

Best bit though was 'the edifice'. It was only a small bathroom in a 3 bed semi. Bath down one side, then across the other way was an airing cupboard, with a vanity unit that ran floor to ceiling. This was all finished in black marble pattern Formica.

The house had been empty almost a year when we bought it. And (presumably as the house warmed up and humidity changed etc.) bit of this would occasionally come unstuck and fall off over the next 6 months or so.

Reply to
chris French

Yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We looked at a house once which had a fairly largish bathroom with a brown suite, including his and hers shell-shaped sinks. In a hard- water area, with inadequate cleaning, you can imagine that they weren't a pretty sight.

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

That was the problem with any of the dark coloured suites.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A /very/ quick google gave

particular
't look brown, red, blue /or/ grey.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

in particular
doesn't look brown, red, blue /or/ grey.

Kinda reinforces my point (and I had looked through the crapetright selection before posting) that non-brown carpets ARE the exception. The vast majority of their wares are firmly in the spectrum range from light to dark brown. That we can find exceptions is nice, but as I posted, _most_ of their non-patterned ... which is a very sad state of affairs. I stand by what I said :(

Reply to
root

Yes, having changed my carpet earlier in the year I agree. I long for something pretty being female and I just cant get it. Same goes for soft furnishings too.

Reply to
sweetheart

Ah! Pampas! I was trying to recall the name!

We had one!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bet the insurance companies love them. used to be that 'accidentally' chipping a basin meant a claim for a new suite.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman