Carpet or laminate? Which would you prefer?

Hopefully Neil gains through higher profit achieved by a higher selling price but with lower costs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A very large part, IMHO; and probably most of it.

It never ceases to amaze me how your average buyer can't see beyond what's in front of their nose. Accordingly I've just recarpeted a

2-bed house I've been doing up, using pretty much the cheapest carpet I could find, same plain beige stuff throughout - cost 400 GBP to supply and fit (using the existing binders and underlay). Looks absolutely great right now; the point is if I'd spent 4000 GBP on top-notch carpeting instead, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the saleability or value of the property. In a similar vein, if I left the old crabby carpets in place and offered 1000 GBP cashback for the purchasers to buy their own, I don't believe for a second that it would help me get an offer on the place.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Neil writes

There is no doubt that the market has moved away from laminate in houses, unless it the very expensive type which has a 5mm layer of real wood as its' surface.

The property refurbishers in my area of South Manchester are now using a neutral carpet with a decent underlay.

I buy reasonable carpet, (£8 a yard retail), from a small wholesaler for £3 per yard, and Cloud 9 underlay off ebay suppliers for £2.60 +/- per yard delivered.

The choice and service isnt as good at the wholesaler, but the savings make it well worthwhile.

You may need to search quite hard for a wholesaler, but I'm sure they will exist where you are.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

How on earth does the Estate Agent gain, one way or the other??

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

If you watch the House Doctor type programmes, it is well and truly obvious that most buyers have no vision, and attach massive negatives to even the slightest sign of something which needs doing.

I've lost count of the number of people I have shown houses over the years who say:

"I dont like the carpets", I dont like the decorations", "It's going to need too much work".

Builders and developers present their houses in move in condition for a reason - so should sensible sellers.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Can I ask which one you use? (email is valid if you don't want to go global for any reason!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

K & G carpets in Cheetham Hill - but dont expect any level of service, and you can only look at piles of rolls, so can generally only look at a turned back edge - it's worked for me, and saved me thousands!!.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Makes your job easier, huh ?

[I expect you know from experience how to talk round those potential buyers who are being adversely put off by inconsequential "faults".]

I'm with Huge - this is *my* house, *I* live in it, I will *continue* to live in it while/if a sale proceeds, and I have no particular intention of selling it to some brain-washed TV addicts who expect all homes to look like show houses. (Note the careful use of the two "h" words there.) If they are that jittery, just imagine what happens when the slightest defect comes up in the title or deeds or survey.

As far as I can see, the only point of decluttering and cream-painting your house for sale is if there are a hundred and one others like it in the vicinity, and somewhat less than a hundred and one potential buyers.

Reply to
John Laird

In message , John Laird writes

??? My job???

Decorating and carpets - very difficult to convince someone to buy something they dont particularly like. Particularly when they generally have a few months to change their minds.

You dont have to do anything, or sell to anyone, you dont want, but I'd bet you are the ones who blame the estate agent for not finding a buyer at a price like, or as fast as, the house down the road which has taken advice.

Happens all the time - which is why it can pay to deal with potential problems up front.

When, or if, you decide to sell, what you are promoting will reduce your pool of potential buyers, and reduce the price you will get, or the speed you will sell at, or both - no matter what the nature of the market. The agent's in it for 1 or 2 per cent - you're in it for 100%.

But that's you prerogative.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

[20 lines snipped]

I've never had any trouble selling a house. OK, I've only ever sold 2, but they both went within weeks of being put on the market, one of them at the very bottom of the last property price crash. Most houses are sold within 30 seconds of the buyer clapping eyes on them, before people have even seen the interior.

[16 lines snipped]

I don't believe you. Like the old saw has it; "Location, location, location."

Reply to
Huge

Richard, it is clear most of these haven't a clue how to sell a house. There is a set way of doing the presentation and decor that works for the majority of punters out there. The make over TV progs have it right. All they have to do is follow what they do and they will sell the house fast. Look at the American lady with the turn in her eye. Look at the unsellable houses she has made over that sell to the top price and quickly.

All you have to do is visit the show house at the local development to see how to do it. How they counter your experience is incredible.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Even in the location, location, location there are price variations. In location, location, location, if one house has anew state-of-the-art kitchen and bedroom, wooden floors and extensive lighting, and an identical one hasn't been touched since 1978, which will go for more and sell quicker? I'll give you one guess.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

They dont spend thousands on show homes for fun - do they?

The fact is that you cant ******g tell some people, and they go along doing their own thing, sometimes getting lucky.

It's the same in the letting market - I present all of my flats to exactly the same tried and tested formula, and usually let in a few days, at fairly top dollar for the location. It's not rocket science.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Ah, confirmation, had I needed it, that I'm entirely correct; The drooling one thinks I'm wrong.

Reply to
Huge

In article , Richard Faulkner writes

You're missing the point though Richard, the comments are made by people who want to live in their houses not have them permanently as show homes in case they decide to sell.

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

I thought I had agreed that anyone can do anything they like with their homes, whether they are living in them, or thinking of selling them.

I have also pointed out that the thread originated from the OP question, which related to the best thing to do when getting ready to sell, and gave some advice related to the particular scenario.

Those who dont believe in doing anything to help sell houses are actually trying to impose their views on the thread and, whilst being valid opinions in their own right, do little to help the OP.

Having said that - the OP will be smart enough to sift the relevant advice.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In article , Richard Faulkner writes

Snipped

I agree with you Richard, I was pointing out that you had got further into an argument with folk that have no intention of selling, I'm saving you from yourself :-)

Reply to
David

Laminates may be all very well if you live in a detached house on your own, but the racket they make if you have kids and pets...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this still the case with decent underlay ? I guess the noise is clattering, dog claws clicking etc ? Is this any better with engineered wood ? I was thinking of good glueless laminate in order to make under-floor access not totally impossible in the future. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If you look at them, there isn't much in them. Just neutral taste.

What is your letting formula?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel