Carpet gripper strip

I've just pulled up a worn-out fitted carpet in readiness for a replacement. It had been fitted on a solid floor, using carpet gripper strip which had been glued to the floor; and in spite of my best efforts, most of the strips have come away from the floor along with the carpet. A bit odd, as I've replaced third carpet before with no problem, and the grippers date from the previous installation.

Anyway.

My query is about the fact that all the gripper had been glued down in short lengths of no more than about 9", rather than mostly as full lengths of 3 or 4 feet. I'd have thought that would make it far more likely for the lengths to come unstuck; or have I got that arse about face? I'm wondering whether it was done by the fitters this way deliberately, or whether it was because they were just using up loads of gripper offcuts from the van?

Would like to know before I fix it! (I'm not fitting the new carpet myself, but will do the grippers.)

Thanks

Reply to
Lobster

Wrong group, but, I would say leave the gripper fixing to the carpet fitters. That way, if it comes unstuck it's their job to sort it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On 09 Oct 2015, Tim+ grunted:

Yes, sorry about that! Had been wondering why this hadn't appeared on uk.d- i-y.... follow-ups set.

The trouble with leaving gripper fixing to the fitters is that for a solid floor they need glueing down, which I would say really means a separate trip to do that job if the glue is going to have cured strongly enough to hold stretched carpet in place. I've certainly seen the results of fitters glueing and fitting within the same session :(

Reply to
Lobster

Solid, whats it made of? Is this the metal stuff or the stuff made of some kind of plastic? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I presume he meant solid (i.e. concrete) floor, not solid gripper

You get metal grippers for joints and transitions at doors etc, but the usual around the wall stuff is still plywood with nasty spiky nails ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 10 Oct 2015, Andy Burns grunted:

Yes and Yes! :)

Reply to
Lobster

They use short bits if the floor is uneven. Long bits would leave gaps underneath.

Reply to
harry