Carpet fitting on stairs and landing

Hi, Just offered to fit a carpet for a friend, I've fitted in a Sq room before and it worked out fine, but just have afew Q's:
1) Any tips about fitting on stairs, 2) He wants a doormat inset into the carpet how is this done?, the floor is tiled so is it any different to normal flooring?
Cheers for any help Oli

before
is
If you want to fix stair carpet invisibly, put two gripper strips in each concave corner between the tread and the riser - one on the tread and the other on the riser, each about 10mm from the corner, and with the spikes pointing into the corner. Cut the carpet to the right width for the staircase, and bash it into the corners with a blunt bolster chisel. If you have to join it, do so in these concave corners.
No idea about the second question!
Roger
cheers cleared up that point then, ideas on door mat anyone?

you

You need some form of recess as mats are rather thicker than carpets. Easy enough with a suspended wooden floor although it involves a fair amount of woodwork, but I'd say pretty difficult with a solid floor.
--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

My carpet fitter asked me not to remove the existing carpet from the stairs before he came so he could use it as a template if he was getting short and avoid any waste. In the event, he had enough left when he got to that part and didn't do this, but that's one idea at least. These stairs had a winding (several cheese wedge shared stairs) which took the staircase through 180 turn.

A carpet supplier will be able to supply cut doormat to exactly the same height as the surrounding carpet and underlay, for exactly this purpose.
--
Andrew Gabriel