Carpet fitters (& handymen)

Aunt is fitting a 12'x12' hand stitched carpet in a 15' x15' room . I seem to remember (many moons ago) carpets were laid with a large border of linoleum, then fitted carpets came along and carpets were fitted to the wall. She would be looking to use underlay under the carpet then leave bare the existing varnished wood flooring as a border. The only problem I could foresee is the edge of the carpet fraying how is this dealt with. Is it bound like a rug, is the end of the carpet turned over and held with tacks, is the whole carpet laid with a border (like a picture frame) or some other method I haven't thought of?

Reply to
soup

Preferably

can be but you will have a ridge, esp at the corners.

not usually domestically although carpet edge strip is used commercially.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Aunt is fitting a 12'x12' hand stitched carpet in a 15' x15' room .

We have similar in our lounge. A large rug basically just lays on top of the parquet flooring with a bit of none slip netting stuff under it. The current one is a bought rug its predecessor a piece of regular carpet with the edges bound. Whipped, I think they call it, which was done by the carpet shop where we bought it.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Normally the rug/carpet edge is whipped as Mike said. I have occasionally also seen it set in a wooden trim border, sometimes sunk to approximately match the floor height.

Usually the floor round it is painted. Its best painted wood colour or similar, as no paint is overly durable in this task. Adding underlay would increase the trip hazard of the raised edges.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sounds like a recipe for a broken hip after a trip to me. In the other group there are several suggestions for this. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suppose with a possible trip hazard, one could find some shiny covering that was around the same thickness as the carpet and put a low profile strip on the join all the way around the room but its going to then be obvious how unsquare rooms are. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff