Carpet cleaning - need some advice

I need to clean a plain, short pile carpet that is a pale blue colour and, as a result, shows up the dirt all too well. It has accumulated various stains over the years and, to be honest, only an area about 4 x 4 feet badly needs a clean.

What's the best way to achieve this CHEAPLY?

I've already tried getting down on my hands and knees with various 'safe' cleaning fluids, trouble is that it's not only hard work but takes ages.

Is the best option to employ a professional to clean it, or is there a better and, as mentioned, cheaper option?

Don't some standard vacuum cleaners also clean carpets?

Thanks

Reply to
jamma-plusser

If you just clean that area (properly) the rest will show up how dirty it really is. Best to clean all of it.

Most of the products used by hand are so 'safe' they are relatively useless.

Check out the cost of hiring a Rug Doctor machine - excellent results.

local B&Q and Morisons hire them out.

Numatic 'George' is the best option here

might find some useful info here

The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the advice guys.

Regarding RugDoctor - some FAQs that I've read about carpet cleaning say that it's best to use a dry powder as with a 'wet wash' moisture can become trapped in the carpet and mildew is the result. Is that an issue with the Rugdoctor?

What's the best cleaning solution to use with the RugDoctor?

And finally, if I decided to use one of the dry carpet cleaning powders with my Dyson DC04, which powder would you recommend?

Ta. :-)

Reply to
jamma-plusser

If you do use a Dyson get some spare filters in before you start. My ex2 ruined a Dyson by using shake and vac.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

The moisture/mildew thing is an urban myth put out by the dry powder suppliers. Dry powder cleaning is at best a light surface clean.

The Rug Doctor is a spray extraction machine. With reasonable ventilation a synthetic carpet will be bone dry in an hour, natural fibre around 4 hours. No mildew problems whatsoever.

Rug Doctor cleaning solution.

I wouldn't. Waste of time.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Rug Doctor is the brand name of a particular self contained brush extractor.

Rug Doctor chemical.

No such thing as a steam cleaning machine for carpets, never has been. The original hot water spray etraction machines were called 'steam cleaners' because the spray looked like steam - they don't go over about 60c.

What you can hire are 'spray extraction' machines.

The 'dry' steam cleaners alledgedly clean carpets by using an absorbant pad to collect the dirt loosened by the steam. A light surface clean at best.

99% are fine. Wouldn't clean an antique Persian rug with one, but modern carpets will be fine.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Advice noted, many thanks.

Reply to