Carol Vorderman - Better Homes

Page 2 of 2
StealthUK wrote:
whilst SWMBO watches it.
Snipped

Hi Stealth,
The sense in the program is this - the company that makes this or any type of commercially run program relies heavily upon advertising revenues to make a profit that keeps them afloat and their shareholders happy oh! and also to fund that particular program and all the others that they make or buy in.
To get the advertising accounts they need to have a show that people will watch in their thousands so that they can then run the advertising campaigns in the "commercial breaks" and the more popular the show the bigger charge they can make- so therefore as far as they are concerned whether the program make sense or not as long as people are prepared to watch it then they can make their profit.
Hence the reason that they put some of (to me) the most stupid of shows on at the peak viewing period and that is because there are millions of viewers who do not agree with my view and will watch them
In a nutshell, programs do not have to make sense to all viewers but they do have to make a profit for the investors - hence the fact that they now have four "comercial" breaks to the hour each lasting around the five minutes thus cutting into the content of the program (instead of the old 3 x 3minute breaks that the used to have) whether the poor bloody viewer agrees with it or not.
(may need a bit of work to make sense out of this but I am having a bad hair day :-))) )
Brian

or any type
<snip snip snip >

viewers but they do

they now have

five minutes
<snippety snip snip>

That's all true, but is this the most that people are CAPABLE of appreciating, or what they've been CONDITIONED to appreciate?
If I were a conspiracy theorist (I'm not, but it's fun to pretend sometimes) I'd say that the low-grade pig swill served up as edutainment is indicative of a populace that has mostly been made, and is being kept, stupified, distracted and therefore conveniently docile. Work/spend/work/spend... till you die, and don't notice or make a fuss about anything important.
Or maybe it's just what happens when the going is too easy for too long. <tongue in cheek> Start a war, draft most of 'em up for five years, put the rest on rations and lob the odd bomb at 'em. How many vacuous makeovers and poncy overpaid chefs would there be then? </tongue in cheek>
W.
snipped-for-privacy@nochoppedhamwithpork.icsh.demon.co.uk says...

On the other hand there might be something in what you say:-
http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/article/id1149/pg1/index.html
Paul

Way to go ! who hasn't
The sentiments were, however well conveyed
--
geoff

At least that was Champion Beer of Britain this year :)
<http://www.camra.org.uk/SHWebClass.asp?WCI=ShowCat&CatId &3>

--
Alan
"people's" rather....excuse the error!

She could work out why a size 14 dress will not fit on a size 16 woman.
Adam