Carbon monoxide

have a CH boiler on my landing - a Potterton Flamingo 20 -30. I also have a carbon monoxide alarm across the landing from it and just recently the alarm has gone off a couple of times. I know the boiler is an old one but, just off the top of your head, could it be anything simple to fix? (The flame doesn't burn yellow by the way). At the moment I really can't afford to have a new boiler fitted.

Also had a look at boilers in B&Q but how on earth do you know which kind to get?

Reply to
Dee

Turn it off immediately. Whilst it may be a false alarm, you should always take a CO alarm seriously.

We can't possibly know from the description. You should get someone out to look at it, really.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

This is an open flued appliance. It really does need proper and regular maintenance if it is to remain safe enough to use.

The flue liner may have failed? The heat exchanger may be full of soot? The flames may not be visibly yellow but still bad enough.

Stop using it now and get someone in if you need to.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

worried about how to get someone to fit it. Rogue Traders unfortunately makes everyone really wary about choosing a tradesman you can trust. Whilst I know I can get someone Corgi registered, I don't know whether he'll rip me off saying extra work needs to be done etc. does anyone have an idea how much replacing a boiler should cost, just for the fitting?

Reply to
Dee

Sounds very dangerous!!!!!!! As weather gets colder all hot water and heating appliances will work more often? Check your (life) insurance! If it turns out, eventually, to be a faulty CO alarm that has to be replaced, that's pretty cheap protection against potentially fatal conditions. PS. during recent hurricanes and electrical power failures one US couple took their propane fired barbecue into their house, never opened any doors or windows and asphyxiated themselves.

Reply to
Terry

Kinky!

Reply to