Carbon Monoxide

I was working at the UK's celebrated Stafforshire Hospital complex recently when I realised that one of the overseers at the MTX plant was suffering f rom Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

The office he uses is immediately above the diesel powered generator and wh en you enter the office to sign in or out etc., you are immediately aware t hat the fuel isn't burning correctly.

Well I fell out with the gentleman concerned and the inevitable happened. A few minutes ago I came across an article on HVAC that said that Carbon Mon oxide can alter your perception of time (which goes some way to explain a l ot of his behaviour) the thing is that I don't see him getting the generato r fixed. The job is coming to an end and I doubt it will be repaired when t he machine oiis moved for use elsewhere.

Going by the shabby state of things being run by someone in that state of h ealth, the toilet facilities for example (I would have thought an hospital wouldn't allow things like that but of course these days with third and fou rth party controls it is difficult for health and safety departments to kee p up to speed (It probably explains why increasing legislation is so necess ary, too.))

"The primary health concerns associated with carbon monoxide exposure are i ts cardiovascular and neurobehavioral effects. Carbon monoxide can cause at herosclerosis (the hardening of arteries) and can also trigger heart attack s. Neurologically, carbon monoxide exposure reduces hand to eye coordinatio n, vigilance, and continuous performance. It can also affect time discrimin ation."

This sounds like I am trying to get even with the man I fell out with but r eally I am past that stage of upset. I don't wish to ruin his future with t he company. They do state on their website that they will retrain people wh o need it.

Something nasty is going to happen with the way he is allowed to run things if he gets sited near the exhaust of that thing on his next job. Honestly, if I had taken a picture of the way they handled some really delicateand e xpensive hospital equipment and linked it here ...you wouldn't believe it. You wouldn't be able to.

So what does one do? I have never been a whistle blower but (as it happens I have just been writ ing about exactly that sort of thing:

Not yet posted.)

It turns out that I am a shit who is afraid of whistle-blowing. I wouldn't have thought it but there you go. Do I want people to think I am only sayin g this to get even, or am I really concerned about the people involved?

The obvious answer is: What difference does it make? I know now after writing this that I have to write to MTX. Will I?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

[...]

As you are a medical expert you should immediately bring all your medical diagnostic powers to bear and do something about it.

Reply to
F Murtz

If this is a genuine enquiry, then I would suggest that you find the pair of danglies between your legs and inform someone in authority at your firm or hospital - or even a union rep or someone who has the necessary balls to do something about it AND quickly.

It is NOT whistle blowing in the true sense you are simply reporting a major hazard - and you can do that without bringing the clash of personalities into it.

If in doubt (and you shouldn't be when your own person - or others - is in peril) take the following mantra to heart - it's always better to have a bollocking for doing something rather than nothing and how would your conscience stand up to a death if you did nothing?

Apologies if I sound brutal, but my temperament (even after being retired for nearly 20 years) is to do something if danger can be averted - and 'f*ck' the consequences at the time. Those I deal with later - especially after being called out to two cases of carbon monoxide poisoning (one a 9 year old girl) because a contractor employed an idiot to install two Parkray boilers many years ago. Both victims fortunately survived BTW.

Cash

(and it is very rare for me to use foul language in print) - so DO SOMETHING ASAP

Reply to
Cash

The chap might be a rat in your books but rats still have right to live. CO is nasty stuff at low levels and long exposure. It is also a killer.

You have information that someones working conditions pose a real threat to their health or even life. If the latter was to end due to CO and you hadn't reported your suspicions how would you feel, really, deep down?

There are anonymous and official whistle blower sites out there. Or maybe a call the HSE?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I imagine he could have a driving accident one night. It wouldn't bother me but if he killed someone, that would.

There are people in positions in authority for their own sections of the workforce and the health and safety of the site is regularly overseen by a company called Kier, the restructured Newcastle under Lyme council workforce.

I still don't know how to approach people tactfully. Something I've never needed to learn.

I don't think he was a rat. I got on well with him but in the last week he just went funny with me. I did take the piss a little and upset him when he was moving those machines. I wasn't in a position to do much else.

Maybe that galled him too much for forgiveness.

What I need is to learn how to write a tactful letter to whoever, rather than the shitty, spiteful stuff I am more likely to send -if I do send anything. I will probably refrain if it means that alternative.

I think I will pop around to the Keir offices there. But I would rather have a chat with one of the trade overseers on that site first. But am I just passing the buck?

I imagine that all it will require is that the genny is tuned. I think the valves only want a regrind but that will cost hundreds, won't it. But he won't even get the toilets unblocked. How can you deal with someone like that?

I think I will pop down there tomorrow. I have no idea what I am going to say.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Call the Health and Safety Executive. That is what they are there for, they have the teeth to ensure that something gets done and they won't say where the report comes from. If you don't know where the local office is, read one of the statutory notices in the hospital, which should have contact details.

Reply to
Nightjar

[...]

First of all MTX????

There is CO in the exhaust gases of all internal combustion engines, it's quite normal and unavoidable. It's an odourless gas BTW.

Next. I have read your link, it is filled with drivel (God made the sun, it is not nuclear powered +more drivel). I can only assume you may be suffering from CO poisoning yourself, clearly you have little technical knowledegand may well be a conspiracy theorist/troll.

If you think there's a problem, speak to the Health and Safety excutive. You must be in cloud cuckoo land if you don't know this.

If they have a mental care department at the hospital, consider handing yourself in.

Reply to
harryagain

Nope. The exhaust of a catalysed petrol engine is virtually zero CO. It's all oxidised to CO2.

It's still fatal.

Why am I reminded of the phrase "Takes one to know one"?

Reply to
Adrian

Why don't you buy a CO2 detector and leave it on his desk?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Because the post is about carbon *monoxide*?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like you need to shop them to the Health and Safety exec. if they do nothing you can have a clear conscience when the death occurs. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspe3ct you mean a CO detector

Reply to
charles

[...]

That sounds shitty. I think I will just go there and tell the man himself. Stafforshire Hospitals are famously badly run and their health and safety w as designed by Harold Shipman to get away with killing as many people as po ssible.

How come you don't know that?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I just read you post. It serves me right. I usually avoid you. Today I was being polite. Uch!

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

writing about exactly that sort of thing: https://weathercharts.wordpress.c om/ Not yet posted.)

n't have thought it but there you go. Do I want people to think I am only s aying this to get even, or am I really concerned about the people involved?

How will he know it isn't responding to CO?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Presumably this

Looks to be father & son as directors, try to speak to one of them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This a diesel generator the size of a lorry container. It has a lage vent in the top the diameter of a 2 gallon bucket. You can smell raw diesel in t he exhaust so the valves obviously need looking at. The timing sounds effic ient and it starts OK.

His office is above another container used as a canteen except it has no fl owing water and has never been cleaned. In a straight line, his door is abo ut 20 to 30 feet from that vent. It runs first thing when he gets in to las t thing when he leaves. He is usually on time or early and always the last to leave. He works hard, long hours and I respect that.

He is not going to take my advice though. If I remember correctly, I told h im that I thought he was being poisoned by CO but we both shrugged it off. That was then. I no idea that it remains a long term poison.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

They may just sack him. I don't think that would be fair. Tricky isn't it?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Is he that weather prediction nutter?

Reply to